Aces of the deep (AOD) DOS version not working

Support and general discussion.
nnikin

Aces of the deep (AOD) DOS version not working

Post by nnikin »

After I have spent some time trying to run this old game in PCEM 12 I gave up.
The game starts correctly but then resets either when it trys to enter the simulation mode or when one clicks
the in-game buttons. Tested with couple of DOS versions. Also trying to start the game without
sound does not help. Any experience?
omarsis81

Re: Aces of the deep (AOD) DOS version not working

Post by omarsis81 »

Welcome to PCem!
I know the title says the DOS is not working. Is that the floppy version? Did you try the CD version?

Edit: I'm testing the CD version that works under DOS. I'm having issues too. The setup hangs when I try to autodetect the sound card, and also the game crashes even if I don't select any sound card in the setup. I will keep trying
omarsis81

Post by omarsis81 »

Well, I think I'm as nnikin, the sounds does work and I can navigate the menus but when I try to enter a mission the game goes to DOS with this error:
"Assert::err: Lines 34 in "S:\SUBSIM\CODE\DEV\.\eventlst.cpp"

I don't have any S unit in my PC. That's odd
JosepMa

Post by JosepMa »

"Assert" is a coding condition that the developer explicitly sets in order to ensure that something is not going to happen, and if it happens, stop the execution.
Since the intention is to correct a condition that should not have happened, what you see is the line of code where the assert was written, and the file location is the one that it had when it was compiled.

In other words, the path has nothing to do with your machine. I am guessing that the development happened using a networked environment and "S" was a mapped drive letter.

As for the reason that it crashes, I can't help as I don't have it. Anyway, did you use the release v12, or a compiled one from current sources? It could help to know if there is any difference
omarsis81

Post by omarsis81 »

The latest commit compiled by me