[Patch] Epson PC AX3

Discussion of development and patch submission.
dns2kv2

[Patch] Epson PC AX3

Post by dns2kv2 »

hello,

another simple patch from me, hope you like it.

Attachments
PCem-Epson-PCAX3.patch
(4.68 KiB) Downloaded 370 times
omarsis81

Re: [Patch] Epson PC AX3

Post by omarsis81 »

Is this a 386 SX?
Be careful! 386 SX models count memory as KB in the configuration dialog where it should be in MB
ecksemmess

Post by ecksemmess »

omarsis81 wrote:Is this a 386 SX?
Be careful! 386 SX models count memory as KB in the configuration dialog where it should be in MB
Not familiar with this issue but this sounds important, can you elaborate on where the problem is?
omarsis81

Post by omarsis81 »

Here it is! At first I though it was on all 386 SX models, but it only happens with the AMI clone
It isn't very serious, just a line of code I believe. I'd do it myself but I don't know how to make patches (hg diff in MingW)
386sx.jpg
386sx.jpg (57.15 KiB) Viewed 7187 times
ecksemmess

Post by ecksemmess »

Are you saying that the number entered is being treated as MB despite being labeled KB? For example, in your screenshot, would PCem improperly attempt to give the system 512 MB of RAM instead of the expected 512 KB? Or are you just saying you find it strange that the AMI 386SX asks for a RAM amount in KB, while most other machines of that class ask for it in MB? If the latter, that's intentional, and there's really no good way around it. The RAM amount has to be in KB in order to make it possible to enter amounts under 1 MB, which that particular machine historically supported. The DTK 386SX does the same thing, for the same reason: it historically supported as little as 512 KB. Those two 386 models were a bit atypical, with most others requiring at least 1 MB. The implementation here shouldn't really be a problem, since it's not like the realistic RAM amount for any machine would ever extend over a wide enough range for a user to confuse KB and MB values. At worst it might strike some users as a bit jarring or inconsistent, but I'm not sure what could be done about that. Perhaps a radio button allowing the user to enter the RAM amount in either KB or MB on all machines?
omarsis81

Post by omarsis81 »

In my screenshot it would work as pictured, I just though that for 386 and upper you would always want to enter a value in MB, I wasn't aware of those atypical motherboards.

I really love your radio button idea on all machines!
SarahWalker
Site Admin

Post by SarahWalker »

Committed in rev 889.