Latest build - Cannot setup HDD/FDD/CDROM

Support and general discussion.
Fusion

Latest build - Cannot setup HDD/FDD/CDROM

Post by Fusion »

Hello, I compiled the latest PCem version from: https://bitbucket.org/pcem_emulator/pcem/downloads/.

It compiled fine, but I cannot get any BIOS to detect the HDD, floppy drive, or CDROM drive. I've used PCem for a while now and have never run into this problem.

If I use v12, I have no issues. I even tried bringing over the pcem.cfg from v12 and that didn't help anything either. Am I the only one with this issue?

My config:

Code: Select all

gameblaster = 0
gus = 0
ssi2001 = 0
voodoo = 1
model = 430vx
cpu_manufacturer = 0
cpu = 7
cpu_use_dynarec = 1
cpu_waitstates = 0
gfxcard = mach64gx
video_speed = 5
sndcard = sb16
cpu_speed = 19
has_fpu = 1
disc_a = 
disc_b = 
mem_size = 65536
cdrom_drive = 0
cdrom_enabled = 0
cdrom_channel = -1
cdrom_path = 
vid_resize = 0
vid_api = 0
video_fullscreen_scale = 0
video_fullscreen_first = 1
hdc_sectors = 63
hdc_heads = 16
hdc_cylinders = 4163
hdc_fn = C:\Users\funkm\Desktop\PCem_Latest\HDD\WIN95C.IMG
hdd_sectors = 0
hdd_heads = 0
hdd_cylinders = 0
hdd_fn = 
hde_sectors = 0
hde_heads = 0
hde_cylinders = 0
hde_fn = 
hdf_sectors = 0
hdf_heads = 0
hdf_cylinders = 0
hdf_fn = 
drive_a_type = 5
drive_b_type = 0
window_w = 0
window_h = 0
window_x = 0
window_y = 0
window_remember = 0
joystick_type = 0
mouse_type = 0
enable_sync = 1
hdd_controller = none
bpb_disable = 0
lpt1_device = 

[3DFX Voodoo Graphics]
type = 0
framebuffer_memory = 2
texture_memory = 4
bilinear = 1
dacfilter = 0
render_threads = 2
recompiler = 1

[Joysticks]
joystick_0_nr = 0
joystick_1_nr = 0
JosepMa

Re: Latest build - Cannot setup HDD/FDD/CDROM

Post by JosepMa »

Recently, PCem has an option to configure the IDE controller.

It is required to be setup (currently it doesn't have a default setting) and you need to do so from the new wxwidgets interface (the older interface is going to be removed for v13).

Alternatively, add this line to the config file:

hdd_controller = ide
Fusion

Post by Fusion »

Great that did the trick, thanks a million JosepMa!
Adomatic

Post by Adomatic »

I have already tested PCem13 on my configurations, too (from 8088 to Pentium), and this IDE controller somehow fails on AT (286). Now, on XT there was the authentic MFM Xebec adapter, and it still remains in PCem13, and it works for XT. For AT, respectively, there is MFM AT Fixed Disk adapter, and it woked on PCem12 but it doesn't work now. Neither does any IDE that I can choose from (there are 3: Standard IDE, which cannot recognize my HDDs, and 2 XTIDEs, which simply cause PCem to crash every time they appear on the startup screen). Thing is, the original IBM PC AT had this quite weird BIOS setup procedure, through a special test diskette. I managed to obtain an image of it a while ago, and once again, on PCem12 with MFM AT Fixed Disk adapter it worked like a charm, locating my 2 HDDs, but now it just says there aren't any fixed disks present, and there's nothing else I can do. Anyway, this seems to be the only machine type that causes this sort of issues. Other than that, all is perfect by now. I hope this could be investigated sometime in the future.
SarahWalker
Site Admin

Post by SarahWalker »

Adomatic wrote:For AT, respectively, there is MFM AT Fixed Disk adapter, and it woked on PCem12 but it doesn't work now.
Not quite sure how that would be possible, given that the MFM AT Fixed Disk Adapter was added in v13.
Adomatic

Post by Adomatic »

Sorry, I will correct myself: it was not present in the release version of PCem12, but it was added somewhere after that. I used the intermediate versions from the repository, and the last version of PCem executable that I have was from 08/24/17. MFM AT adapter was present there, as well as Mouse Systems mouse that I asked for before. It worked there (the disk adapter, I mean), but the same option in the menu doesn't work now (for me, at least).

P.S. Discard that, it turned out I used the wrong diskette (fixed adapter test instead of setup). I finally managed to set up the AT BIOS correctly with the proper diskette, and everything worked after that. Sorry to bother you.