3DFX compatibility list

Discussion of development and patch submission.
omarsis81

Re: 3DFX compatibility list

Post by omarsis81 »

I tested Fulcrum: in PCem looks very dark as reported. I also tried it in real hardware with a Voodoo 1 (pic) and works fine, so there is a bug in PCem
Attachments
20171022_213755.jpg
20171022_213755.jpg (123.62 KiB) Viewed 37655 times
leilei

Post by leilei »

Giants Citizen Kabuto also has a darkness issue with the logos/loading screens on Voodoo2, wonder if that's related
SarahWalker
Site Admin

Post by SarahWalker »

MiG-29 fixed in rev 911.
omarsis81

Post by omarsis81 »

SarahWalker wrote:MiG-29 fixed in rev 911.
Thank you!
leilei wrote:Giants Citizen Kabuto also has a darkness issue with the logos/loading screens on Voodoo2, wonder if that's related
Could you please re-test and see if this fix also applies for Giants?
leilei

Post by leilei »

Can confirm the fix also fixes Giants.
leilei

Post by leilei »

Powerslide crashes PCem (no log) when specular is enabled in Glide 2. Also when it doesn't crash, textures are heavily corrupted
SarahWalker
Site Admin

Post by SarahWalker »

Powerslide fixed in revs 912-914.
leilei

Post by leilei »

Descent Freespace in glide, PCem crashes (no log) immediately when going into the Tech Room and after a few seconds in-flight, V2 recompiler

Powerslide still seems to hang the Voodoo2 (killing the card for the whole session, leading to a hang when you access its control panel after terminating the game) after a race has been completed but only when specular is enabled. There's also occasions of corrupted menu graphics (which probably don't involve 3dfx anyway, but are still worth noting)
SarahWalker
Site Admin

Post by SarahWalker »

Rev 915 fixes Descent Freespace.
leilei

Post by leilei »

In Freespace (around the campaign's second mission ) the Voodoo2 hangs and dies for the rest of the session in a similarly described manner in my last bug with Powerslide. I've also had it happen in Hardwar after a while

Tribes 2 initializes the V2 and blackscreens, though i'm not sure if that should work on the real V2 either as that's another game I have to crosscheck (I've played it on a Geforce2 at the earliest)... the version tested is the free 2002 ISO release from Hi-Rez themselves (since that's the version most likely to be ran, not to mention the same release is identical to the old 2004 Gamespy freeware release so it's had plenty of recirculation)

EDIT: I investigated Jane's F-15 and it seems to be more of a CPU issue? The winchip interpreter shows missing polygons in the game's software renderer. Both V1 and V2 recompilers are missing their skies (they show on interpreter, though they also have the software renderer's bugs)

EDIT2: V2 fatal texture upload bugs can be found in Interstate 76 Nitro (and probably gold)'s 3dfx glide renderer. Easily reproducible by firing (it also makes pcem terminate itself afterward). Also happens on voodoo interpreter. It also happens on Voodoo Graphics, but at a slower rate.

EDIT3: Using the 6-99 V2 driver did something about the hangs at the beginning of the post. Powerslide quits to desktop instead of hanging now
A. Naim

Post by A. Naim »

Homeworld 1 appears to play flawlessly, as far as graphics and glitches go. However:

* The in-game menus drop down to single-digit FPS.
* A Pentum MMX166 appears to be on the low end for playing it - My CPU couldn't run the emulated MMX233 faster than 60-70% during gameplay, and lagged near the end of the game.
* A Voodoo 2 also appears to be on the low end for playing. FPS dropped during graphics-heavy scenes.
jouven

Post by jouven »

Scorched Planet works (with the diamond monster drivers ONLY).

Host Setup:
2600K @ 4.2GHz
R9 Fury
Running PCem v13.1

Guest Setup:
Pentium MMX 133
S3 VIRGE/DX
Voodoo 1
Sound Blaster AWE32
Running windows 95 OSR2.5

Works better than vmware player + nglide on windows xp.
The diamond monster CD drivers, can be found in the vogon site, has some 3D demos, not all of them work (if anyone wants to check that).
starnamedstork

Post by starnamedstork »

Sentinel Returns (1998) works perfectly in Glide mode.
RetroAF

Post by RetroAF »

The longest journey works. Haven't played it through but the first hour shows no problems. I hope it stays that way.
xXLuckyXx

Post by xXLuckyXx »

Can you add Serious Sam: The First Encounter (2001) and Serious Sam: The Second Encounter (2002) to the list. They work on both Win95 and Win98 with Voodoo2. The only problem is that game is very slowed down because it needs a more powerful graphic card like Nvidia GeForce2.
omarsis81

Post by omarsis81 »

xXLuckyXx wrote: Tue 29 May, 2018 5:06 pm Can you add Serious Sam: The First Encounter (2001) and Serious Sam: The Second Encounter (2002) to the list. They work on both Win95 and Win98 with Voodoo2. The only problem is that game is very slowed down because it needs a more powerful graphic card like Nvidia GeForce2.
Wow, we are light years away from a GF2. Also I think there is no interest in Sarah for nVidia cards. Maybe we can get a Voodoo5 someday
xXLuckyXx

Post by xXLuckyXx »

I didn't say GF2 needs to be added to PCem. I just said that both games work fine with GF2 64mb. If we get past Voodoo2 that will be a success.
omarsis81

Post by omarsis81 »

xXLuckyXx wrote: Fri 01 Jun, 2018 9:40 pm I didn't say GF2 needs to be added to PCem. I just said that both games work fine with GF2 64mb. If we get past Voodoo2 that will be a success.
Ok, I misunderstood. Voodoo3 is very likely to be added to PCem, however, the performance is near the Voodoo2 SLI we currently have
leilei

Post by leilei »

The OP never gets edited and i've already reported Serious Sam a few times earlier with bug reports as it was intended to work on the Voodoo2. Sam's a CPU hog designed for the 7th gen; a Geforce2 won't help this, not even a Voodoo5 6000 will help this.

Banshee would be the next in line. I'd also probably have to rewrite my filter code a bit because that has registers to specify dimensions for a filter on the overlays as well as the 2x2 filter which wouldn't be possible on the existing voodoo_line code....
xXLuckyXx

Post by xXLuckyXx »

Well, we can only wait for next more powerful graphic card to be added to PCem.
xXLuckyXx

Post by xXLuckyXx »

leilei wrote: Sat 02 Jun, 2018 10:28 pm The OP never gets edited and i've already reported Serious Sam a few times earlier with bug reports as it was intended to work on the Voodoo2. Sam's a CPU hog designed for the 7th gen; a Geforce2 won't help this, not even a Voodoo5 6000 will help this.

Banshee would be the next in line. I'd also probably have to rewrite my filter code a bit because that has registers to specify dimensions for a filter on the overlays as well as the 2x2 filter which wouldn't be possible on the existing voodoo_line code....
If I understood correctly, Sam should work without a problem with Voodoo2 but there is a bug in PCem that makes Sam work very slow. I see that in some cases when it's 60 fps that the game is still working very slow. It's not lagging but it's just slowed down. Is that fixable or I need something like Voodoo3 or Banshee?
leilei

Post by leilei »

Sam running slow on Pentium MMX is NOT a bug! There are much faster CPUs PCem doesn't emulate that Sam would also run slowly on! In addition, PCem doesn't skip frames.
omarsis81

Post by omarsis81 »

Bear in mind that Serious Sam: First Encounter requieres minimum a Pentium II and is recommended a Pentium III @ 550 mhz
http://www.mobygames.com/images/covers/ ... -cover.jpg
xXLuckyXx

Post by xXLuckyXx »

I see that original Unreal has been added already. I have tested it and it works fine with 3dfx Voodoo2 SLI like Serious Sam but it is slowed down due to weak CPU. Are you ready to make Pentium II or are there still problems?
leilei

Post by leilei »

Unreal runs fine (and better starting from version 218). It's your host computer that's slow and can't handle all the frames at once. Adding (actual) Pentium II emulation won't fix this for you. Perhaps there's also a generational issue with regards to performance acceptance as well, as getting 25fps on a Pentium running Unreal was once a good thing.
xXLuckyXx

Post by xXLuckyXx »

Are you sure it's because of my old PC? In situations when it's running smooth 60 fps it's still running slow. It's not lagging in those moments but it's like in slow motion.
leilei

Post by leilei »

Yes. PCem doesn't frameskip. That triple core Athlon II won't give you much V2 SLI action. I'd expect it to only ever do well with Pentium 75. To get V2 SLI going great you would need a relatively recent Intel Core i5-i7 @4GHz+.
xXLuckyXx

Post by xXLuckyXx »

Ok, thanks for info.
gen_angry

Post by gen_angry »

xXLuckyXx wrote: Sat 16 Jun, 2018 9:08 pm Are you sure it's because of my old PC? In situations when it's running smooth 60 fps it's still running slow. It's not lagging in those moments but it's like in slow motion.
Yes. AM3 CPUs are extremely lackluster when it comes to IPC performance which PCem needs. I have some slowdown issues running a Pentium 300 at full speed on some games with a 6700K, a Pentium II will murder both of our CPUs. (And yes, I'm aware that I requested SS7/AGP support a while back).

You're better off trying to use DosBox for that era of games or purchasing a GoG copy (it's on sale for $1 atm).
xXLuckyXx

Post by xXLuckyXx »

I got Unreal Gold on Steam when there was a 20th anniversary of the game. I'm the a gamer type who wants to play a game in its recommended configuration. That's why I got myself a PC from 1999 and I'll upgrade it to Pentium III, Nvidia GeForce4, etc. for retro gaming.