v13.1 released!

Support and general discussion.
SarahWalker
Site Admin

v13.1 released!

Post by SarahWalker »

PCem v13.1 is now available. This is a quick bugfix release, with the following changes from v13 :
  • Minor recompiler tweak, fixed slowdown in some situations (mainly seen on Windows 9x just after booting)
  • Fixed issues with PCJr/Tandy sound on some Sierra games
  • Fixed plasma display on Toshiba 3100e
  • Fixed handling of configurations with full stops in the name
  • Fixed sound output gain when using OpenAL Soft
  • Switched to using OpenAL Soft by default
teppic

Re: v13.1 released!

Post by teppic »

With this release I get an SDL2.dll not found error at start up, doesn't happen with 13.0.

edit: I know I can fix it by downloading the DLL (which works), just not sure if this extra requirement in 13.1 is intentional.
SarahWalker
Site Admin

Post by SarahWalker »

Nope, not intentional. Now fixed!
shermanp

Post by shermanp »

Hi Sarah, thanks for the release. I must have got lucky and downloaded the fixed SDL version just after you updated it :p

Can confirm that sound is behaving. Changing the buffer length on the fly works with no issues. Output gain also works. Thank you very much for this update!
gen_angry

Post by gen_angry »

Thank you, yet again :) update time!
JohnElliott

Post by JohnElliott »

SarahWalker wrote:PCem v13.1 is now available. This is a quick bugfix release, with the following changes from v13 :
  • Fixed plasma display on Toshiba 3100e
Whoops. I'm going to try and shift the blame for that onto my old archnemeses, Mr Copy and Mr Paste.
AnnaWu

Post by AnnaWu »

Thanks for the fixes, Sarah!
TonyM

Post by TonyM »

This really is an amazing piece of software. I remember thinking how cool DOSBox was when it first came out and how neat that it was able to simulate PC hardware and MS-DOS so well but being able to emulate actual PC/Intel systems with all of the quirks and proprietary hardware (Tandy graphics and sound, MFM and SCSI ISA cards, etc.) with almost perfect accuracy and speed using an off-the-shelf PC says a lot about the versatility of today's systems. Kudos to you Sarah for taking all of the pieces and putting them together to create PCem!
HeadsetGuy

Post by HeadsetGuy »

Hi,

First-time forum poster, long-time user. Let me say first of all, PCem is undoubtedly the best way to run older versions of Windows. I am excited about the variety of motherboards emulated, as well as the potential for networking.

I did notice a couple small but annoying quirks: first of all, it seems that even when I tick the box next to "Synchronize time to host clock", the time still resets to 12:00 midnight on the guest/emulated machine (oddly, the date stays the same--and the date and time are correct in the BIOS, but not in the OS itself, specifically Windows 95 B).

Second, I'm not able to select a hard drive interface, more RAM, or a fast CPU for a configuration until after I've created it. For example, every time I set it above 640 KB of RAM, it jumps back to that when I change another setting, and my only options for a CPU are an 8088 at various speeds; after clicking OK, I can go back into the settings and select whatever CPU I want, the amount of RAM (in MB instead of KB), and what type of hard drive I want. So, there is a fix, but it's a minor annoyance to have to go back into it.
BoisterousSleet75

Post by BoisterousSleet75 »

--
Last edited by BoisterousSleet75 on Wed 08 Aug, 2018 1:47 am, edited 19 times in total.
Long Live Marxism-Leninism-Maoism! ☭
tk421

Post by tk421 »

I am sure v13.1 will be great. I am glad to see that PCem is still being developed. I am looking forward to being able to emulate a Pentium 233 MMX. The Voodoo 2 is a big step up from the Voodoo 1.

Happy Holidays to all site members!
omarsis81

Post by omarsis81 »

tk421 wrote:I am sure v13.1 will be great.
PCem v13.1 IS great, it was already released :D
tk421

Post by tk421 »

I am looking forward to giving it a try, especially if the sound stuttering issue was resolved.

Program compatibility has been a serious problem with modern computers for some time now. I think we are all tired of having to tinker with our modern computers just to run old software we used to be able to use without difficulty back in the day. PCem is a great solution to this problem.
A. Naim

Post by A. Naim »

I'm liking this release. There's compatibility issues, but so far only with games that had issues in the first place.

Gamin' like it's 1998! :D

Gonna see if my brother can find his Warcraft II CD and case.
teppic

Post by teppic »

I know this was only a minor release for bug fixes but I hope Sarah will make some more so those of us who don't compile between releases can get some of the fixes that'll come before v14. But either way, keep up the good work Sarah!
gen_angry

Post by gen_angry »

teppic wrote:I know this was only a minor release for bug fixes but I hope Sarah will make some more so those of us who don't compile between releases can get some of the fixes that'll come before v14. But either way, keep up the good work Sarah!
Meh, I can see the appeal on the distant releases. It's a coding style: Add new shiny features for a while, then do a freeze and just a big round of bug fixes for a month or so, then release.

Rather then add new thing, bug fixes, add new thing, more bug fixes, add new thing, more "what the crap how did this break, it has nothing in relation to what I just added" bug fixes.

You get pretty stable releases for the public this way. If you want the newest cutting edge stuff, the source is available for compiling yourself.
EluanCM

Post by EluanCM »

Doing test releases before (for what was released as 13.0, for example) is also a good idea to warn users that there are a lot of new features and a bugfix release may be needed. Even with all the testers, some small bugs always pass (like what happened now).
teppic

Post by teppic »

gen_angry wrote:
teppic wrote:I know this was only a minor release for bug fixes but I hope Sarah will make some more so those of us who don't compile between releases can get some of the fixes that'll come before v14. But either way, keep up the good work Sarah!
Meh, I can see the appeal on the distant releases. It's a coding style: Add new shiny features for a while, then do a freeze and just a big round of bug fixes for a month or so, then release.

Rather then add new thing, bug fixes, add new thing, more bug fixes, add new thing, more "what the crap how did this break, it has nothing in relation to what I just added" bug fixes.

You get pretty stable releases for the public this way. If you want the newest cutting edge stuff, the source is available for compiling yourself.
I'm talking about bugfix point releases to 13.x, not what would be more like a rolling release with major new features.
spiderman82

Post by spiderman82 »

Tell me, how you can access the menu in the Linux version? And I would like to clarify about the implementation of the socket 7 in the Linux version!
darksabre76

Post by darksabre76 »

Regarding the linux menu, right click on the main window when your mouse is not captured.
spiderman82

Post by spiderman82 »

darksabre76 wrote: Sun 25 Mar, 2018 6:34 pm Regarding the linux menu, right click on the main window when your mouse is not captured.
And I would like to clarify about the implementation of the socket 7 in the Linux version like Win version!
inukaze

Post by inukaze »

Hi there, wonderful improvement for GNU/Linux version with the WxWigets. but i just had ask few things

1. How i can add and set a Floppy Drive, and Floppy Disk Image?
2. How i can add and set a Cdrom Drive, and ISO Image?

For start the installation of the Operating System(s) [MSDOS 6.22 + Windows 95 : For Example]

Because i can't see, some option for do that inside the new GUI of PCEm (v 13.1)
Thanks for Readme :=) and Thanks for this excelent Software :D

3. Why in the GNU/Linux version the "[Socket 7] Award 430 VX PCI". dont appears in the List ?

¿ How i can compile to get it in the list ?
The last time i use

Code: Select all

./configure --enable-release-build --enable-debug --enable-alsa
Something strange happend here, i had download the Windows versions i am using via wine. but in the Graphics Adapters, for Windows versions don't appear "VGA"
omarsis81

Post by omarsis81 »

inukaze wrote: Tue 03 Apr, 2018 2:04 am
1. How i can add and set a Floppy Drive, and Floppy Disk Image?
2. How i can add and set a Cdrom Drive, and ISO Image?
Image loading is made via the main menu, once PCem began the emulation, there you have "Disc" for Diskette images, and "CD-ROM" for, wel...

If you can't figure I will upload a screenshot
inukaze

Post by inukaze »

omarsis81 wrote: Tue 03 Apr, 2018 3:52 pm Image loading is made via the main menu, once PCem began the emulation, there you have "Disc" for Diskette images, and "CD-ROM" for, wel...

Under GNU/Linux, which ¿ Main Menu ?
Because the Windows version, have a Internal Menu inside the Output screen, but under GNU/Linux, i don't know if have one, because the old keyboard Shortcut Ctrl + Alt + End, not show the internal menu, just alternate between Fullscreen & Window mode.
omarsis81

Post by omarsis81 »

inukaze wrote: Fri 06 Apr, 2018 1:55 pm
omarsis81 wrote: Tue 03 Apr, 2018 3:52 pm Image loading is made via the main menu, once PCem began the emulation, there you have "Disc" for Diskette images, and "CD-ROM" for, wel...

Under GNU/Linux, which ¿ Main Menu ?
Because the Windows version, have a Internal Menu inside the Output screen, but under GNU/Linux, i don't know if have one, because the old keyboard Shortcut Ctrl + Alt + End, not show the internal menu, just alternate between Fullscreen & Window mode.
I meant the Windows version, I never used the Linux one
EluanCM

Post by EluanCM »

Right-click opens the menu