How to enable video card not on config mgr list?

Support and general discussion.
emendelson

How to enable video card not on config mgr list?

Post by emendelson »

Hello, I'm trying to experiment with the new support for the MDSI Genius card, but when I try to set up a configuration (under Windows), the Configuration Manager only lets me choose among seven video card models. Is there any way to get the Genius card added to this list?

Many thanks, and of course I don't expect any answers until after the holidays...
omarsis81

Re: How to enable video card not on config mgr list?

Post by omarsis81 »

You need the BIOS with the correct name in the roms folder
JohnElliott

Post by JohnElliott »

You can find the correct file at http://www.seasip.info/tmp/8x12.bin -- drop it in the 'roms' folder.
emendelson

Post by emendelson »

@JohnElliott, Thank you for that doubly helpful answer. I'll try it out and report back when the holiday distractions are over. It will be interesting to see what WordPerfect looks like with its Genius-monitor drivers.
emendelson

Post by emendelson »

SECOND EDIT: I see that I neglected to download and install the drivers, so ignore everything I wrote below. I'll work on getting the drivers loaded tomorrow...

EDIT: I first reported no success with the MDSI Genius board, but now I seem to be closer to success. With these settings, I get what seems to be the correct font:

[Socket 7] Award 430VX PCI, Intel, Pentium 90, 256 MB
MDSI Genius, 8-bit speed

But there are blue artifacts across the window. WordPerfect 5.1 has text and graphics mode drivers for the Genius Monitor. If I choose the Graphics driver (1280x1024 Monochrome), WP reports "invalid graphics driver" (this is for print preview, etc.). If I choose any of the Genius text driver options (various resolutions are listed), the screen goes blank.

I realize that there's no way to test this without an actual monitor and card, but I wonder if I'm doing something wildly wrong?
emendelson

Post by emendelson »

OK, I've got Genius support going, and I'll start a new thread with questions about it.