Interstate '76 - Missing triangles

Support and general discussion.
A. Naim

Interstate '76 - Missing triangles

Post by A. Naim »

The bug: Playing I76 for a few minutes results in missing and mis-placed triangles. This is carried over from previous versions of PCem.

The config:
gameblaster = 0
gus = 0
ssi2001 = 0
voodoo = 1
model = 430vx
cpu_manufacturer = 0
cpu = 9
cpu_use_dynarec = 1
cpu_waitstates = 0
gfxcard = px_trio64
video_speed = 5
sndcard = sbpci128
cpu_speed = 19
has_fpu = 1
disc_a =
disc_b =
hdd_controller = ide
mem_size = 262144
cdrom_drive = 68
cdrom_enabled = 1
cdrom_channel = 1
cdrom_path =
hdc_sectors = 63
hdc_heads = 16
hdc_cylinders = 16383
hdc_fn = C:\*\PCem Files\Win98SE.img
hdd_sectors = 0
hdd_heads = 0
hdd_cylinders = 0
hdd_fn =
hde_sectors = 0
hde_heads = 0
hde_cylinders = 0
hde_fn =
hdf_sectors = 0
hdf_heads = 0
hdf_cylinders = 0
hdf_fn =
drive_a_type = 7
drive_b_type = 7
bpb_disable = 0
joystick_type = 4
mouse_type = 3
enable_sync = 1
netcard = ne2000
lpt1_device = none
vid_resize = 0
video_fullscreen_scale = 3
video_fullscreen_first = 1

[Joysticks]
joystick_0_nr = 1
joystick_1_nr = 0
joystick_0_axis_0 = 0
joystick_0_axis_1 = 1
joystick_0_axis_2 = 2
joystick_0_button_0 = 0
joystick_0_button_1 = 1
joystick_0_button_2 = 2
joystick_0_button_3 = 3
joystick_0_pov_0_x = -2147483648
joystick_0_pov_0_y = 1073741824

[SDL2]
screenshot_format = png
screenshot_flash = 1
custom_width = 640
custom_height = 480
fullscreen = 0
fullscreen_mode = 0
scale = 1
scale_mode = 1
vsync = 0
focus_dim = 0
alternative_update_lock = 0
render_driver = auto

[GL3]
input_scale = 1.000000
input_stretch = 0
shader_refresh_rate = 0.000000

[GL3 Shaders]
shaders = 0

[3DFX Voodoo Graphics]
type = 2
framebuffer_memory = 2
texture_memory = 2
bilinear = 1
dacfilter = 0
render_threads = 2
sli = 0
recompiler = 1
leilei

Re: Interstate '76 - Missing triangles

Post by leilei »

Which renderer are you using? If Direct3D or Glide, what driver version and DirectX are you using? If Voodoo2, Did you limit 2MB memory in Glide?

If it's I76's terrible terrain pop-in and occasional road poly Z-fighting you're referring to: that's a real thing.
omarsis81

Post by omarsis81 »

I was about to quote this thread viewtopic.php?f=2&t=885 but as A. Naim spoke of missing triangles and in your thread mention crashing I thought it was unrelated
A. Naim

Post by A. Naim »

leilei wrote:Which renderer are you using? If Direct3D or Glide, what driver version and DirectX are you using? If Voodoo2, Did you limit 2MB memory in Glide?

If it's I76's terrible terrain pop-in and occasional road poly Z-fighting you're referring to: that's a real thing.
Software.

No, it's not that. I'm well familiar with that. :)

I'll try to get a screenshot later.
A. Naim

Post by A. Naim »

More info:

* The colours can be funky on startup. Changing the resolution works, as does changing it back. 1024x768 always has colour problems. This may be a palatalization of 16 bit to 8 colours.
* The first time I76.exe is run, an exception is returned. Any runs after that will start and work correctly (until the appearance of the missing/misplaced triangle bug).
* The game itself is rock-solid on a 2.4 GHz laptop with an emulated 233MHz CPU and a Voodoo 2. :)
* The menus slow the emulated CPU down to around 65-75%.
szadycbr

Post by szadycbr »

Just quick question, are you sure You got 2.4 GHz laptop? it sounds to me as it is running at 3.2 minimum. What is the model? and CPU on it?
I just think You really have no clue, how fast Your CPU is runing , and assuming You got I5,I7 then 2.4 will be the base frequency.
I run 2.7 GHz I5 and 233 MHz it is a mission impossible, only on some well written games like NFS3 or quake II i can get P133mmx at full speed and not always.
Just curious.
A. Naim

Post by A. Naim »

szadycbr wrote:Just quick question, are you sure You got 2.4 GHz laptop? it sounds to me as it is running at 3.2 minimum. What is the model? and CPU on it?
I just think You really have no clue, how fast Your CPU is runing , and assuming You got I5,I7 then 2.4 will be the base frequency.
I run 2.7 GHz I5 and 233 MHz it is a mission impossible, only on some well written games like NFS3 or quake II i can get P133mmx at full speed and not always.
Just curious.
it has a 2.4 GHz base frequency. I have not yet run CPU-z while PCem is running. It is an I7 4722HQ, which can boost up to 3.4 GHz. I suppose I should have posted the boost frequency.

A little less condescension from you will go a long way.
omarsis81

Post by omarsis81 »

szadycbr wrote:Just quick question, are you sure You got 2.4 GHz laptop? it sounds to me as it is running at 3.2 minimum. What is the model? and CPU on it?
Just curious.
This is odd, but I noticed that a running a Pentium MMX 233 would always at 100% depends of course on the host CPU, but also on the game you're running.
I have an Intel 4790K and I can only play Unreal at 100% with only a Pentium MMX 200 max (233 will stutter), but I'm also playing Grim Fandango with a MMX 233 and the host CPU barely reaches 40% utilization
szadycbr

Post by szadycbr »

A.Naim , You got nice CPU but it wont anyway run at 3.4 if You are using all 4 cores, unfortunately boost speed shown is only valid if it runs on single core (bloody marketing), so on 4 i will be less. For example my I5 2410m on single core has a potential to run close to 2.9 but on 2 cores it can reach 2.7. Probably Your speed runs about 3-3.2 on 4 cores. And sorry if You took it as a condescension, i am no one, with little knowlege.

omarsis81, hello, we spoke about that utilization and it is only b cos your CPU does not use all cores running PCem, You can get 75% using 4 cores, but turn off HT cos then you got 8 threads instead of 4. and that 75% will happend only playing games using voodoo on multicore setting. PCem main CPU use one thread/core and voodoo can use separate 2 threads/cores so only up to 3 cores can be used while You got 4. If you are in windows (not using voodoo) or playing game without voodoo , on 4 cores utilization will be only 25%, with HT on 8 threads it will be only 12.5%.
And if You got only 40% playing games on voodoo (2 threads), means that You got HT on, and You got 8 threads using 3 for pcem and tiny bit of 4th for system, so there You got Your 40%.
BTW turn off HT, you dont need those at all , at least for PCem and without HT performance of Your cpu will be slightly higher, well noticeable.
A. Naim

Post by A. Naim »

szadycbr wrote:A.Naim , You got nice CPU but it wont anyway run at 3.4 if You are using all 4 cores, unfortunately boost speed shown is only valid if it runs on single core (bloody marketing), so on 4 i will be less. For example my I5 2410m on single core has a potential to run close to 2.9 but on 2 cores it can reach 2.7. Probably Your speed runs about 3-3.2 on 4 cores. And sorry if You took it as a condescension, i am no one, with little knowlege.

omarsis81, hello, we spoke about that utilization and it is only b cos your CPU does not use all cores running PCem, You can get 75% using 4 cores, but turn off HT cos then you got 8 threads instead of 4. and that 75% will happend only playing games using voodoo on multicore setting. PCem main CPU use one thread/core and voodoo can use separate 2 threads/cores so only up to 3 cores can be used while You got 4. If you are in windows (not using voodoo) or playing game without voodoo , on 4 cores utilization will be only 25%, with HT on 8 threads it will be only 12.5%.
And if You got only 40% playing games on voodoo (2 threads), means that You got HT on, and You got 8 threads using 3 for pcem and tiny bit of 4th for system, so there You got Your 40%.
BTW turn off HT, you dont need those at all , at least for PCem and without HT performance of Your cpu will be slightly higher, well noticeable.
Apologies for the misunderstanding on my part.

Your advice is good. It is data I already know, but I did not mention it myself, and it is useful info.
omarsis81 wrote:This is odd, but I noticed that a running a Pentium MMX 233 would always at 100% depends of course on the host CPU, but also on the game you're running.
I have an Intel 4790K and I can only play Unreal at 100% with only a Pentium MMX 200 max (233 will stutter), but I'm also playing Grim Fandango with a MMX 233 and the host CPU barely reaches 40% utilization
Some games use the CPU more; some games use the GPU more; and some games spend more of their time waiting for vsync. :) And, the recompiler handles some games better than others.

A side benefit of the v14 recompiler re-write may well be a wider selection of supported games, which would equal an effective speedup in those games. Although, I'm not Sarah Walker, and I have no insider information. Just fan speculation. :