Help - PCem no romset found problem

Support and general discussion.
tk421

Help - PCem no romset found problem

Post by tk421 »

I am trying to run the new Version 13.1 of PCem, but I keep getting the error "No Romset found." I took the roms from my PCem version 12 folder, put them in the 13.1 roms folder, but the program will not start. Naturally this makes me feel like I had never used PCem before. I admit this is embarrassing given my year-plus of experience using this great software, but it would be nice to use this new version.

May I ask what I am doing wrong?
omarsis81

Re: Help - PCem no romset found problem

Post by omarsis81 »

What I did was placing the 13.1 exe version on my old PCem v12 and I had no problems
Maybe ver 13.1 has case sensitivity. Are you running the Linux version?
tk421

Post by tk421 »

I am using the Windows version of PCem on Windows 10.

I tried running PCem v13.1 in a WinXP vitual machine in VMWare, and it did work. There were one or two people here writing not long ago that PCem worked with XP, and when I tried the new one there, it worked. Running a VM on a laptop a8 CPU, and there running PCem, is not a good idea.

PCem v12 works on my laptop.

So I just tried your idea. Putting the v13.1 exe in a v12 installation did not work. It did give the following error message:

PCem.exe - System Error
The code execution cannot proceed because SDL2.dll was not found. Reinstalling the program may fix this problem.

I have one more idea I can try, but I am sure you have better experience with this issue.
omarsis81

Post by omarsis81 »

Sure, only the EXE won't work because v13 needs some widget libraries.
Copy all v13.1 files onto a v12 working PCem. That's what I did and works
tk421

Post by tk421 »

So I copied all the v13.1 files onto a v12 PCem folder, overwriting files as needed. I get a short, soft beep sound, then the same "no romset" error.

I tried freeing hard disk space, since PCem v13.1 worked on my XP vm, but no joy. I can run v13.1 in a vm without these errors, but it is slow.

You mentioned widget libraries. May I ask which files would have these libraries?
omarsis81

Post by omarsis81 »

Here
Attachments
widget.jpg
widget.jpg (33.74 KiB) Viewed 9428 times
tk421

Post by tk421 »

PCem does not come with these 6 dll files. I located them on the wxWidgets website at the link referenced below. I placed these 6 files in the main PCem v13.1 folder. This makes no difference. The same error message remains. I tried using the v12 folder with v13.1 files, and the 6 dll files, again it made no difference. I still get that error message.

https://forums.wxwidgets.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=43756

Where do I put these 6 dll files to get PCem v13.1 working?
omarsis81

Post by omarsis81 »

I just realized that those six DLLs come with PCem v13 but not with 13.1 (Sarah, please include them in future releases!)
SarahWalker
Site Admin

Post by SarahWalker »

v13.1 statically links the wxWidgets libraries so the DLLs are no longer required.
tk421

Post by tk421 »

I can confirm that the 6 dll files do come with v13 and not with v13.1, but this still makes no difference. I still get the same no romset found error.

v13.1 does work in a WinXP virtual machine using VMWare, but I can say this is not a great way to run PCem. I tested v13.1 a bit in VMWare and I found the new SLI mode very fascinating, with 16mb of Video memory for the two Voodoo2 cards. I will greatly enjoy using my bin/cue files. The PCem program itself does start slowly, but I never get an error message. The only errors I get are in Windows 10.

I am using the same roms I use with v12, which does work. These same roms were used with v11 too.

I admit it would be better to run PCem on my PC itself rather than through a vm, so if there is a solution to this very bizarre problem, I am eager to try it.

I am in the midst of shopping for a new PC. This "no romset found" error does not prevent me from using PCem in a vm, nor does it prevent me from using v11 or v12. It would be nice however to use v13.1 normally.