Linux

Support and general discussion.
FirstRabbit

Linux

Post by FirstRabbit »

Which of the supported computers would be best to install linux on? Has anyone tried linux, thoughts?
A. Naim

Re: Linux

Post by A. Naim »

Probably not much use for it at this point - At that era of Linux development, its main use, IIRC, was for servers. And PCem 12 doesn't have internet. :)

A source build might; someone might chime in on that.

Edit: Also, post made while tired.
SarahWalker
Site Admin

Post by SarahWalker »

I've played with Linux a bit. Use the 430VX system, maxed out with 256 MB RAM and as fast a CPU as you can use. And use old distros - anything post-2005 is likely to run like a dog.
szadycbr

Post by szadycbr »

FirstRabbit, one more thing, make sure any distro you will try is not higher than for 586 architecture, from obvious reasons 686 and up will not work. DSL works well even on p100.
leilei

Post by leilei »

I've had great luck with Red Hat 6.2 (not RHEL 6.2). It's the only one I bothered booting and it's pretty snappy on PMMX300 :)
rliegh

Post by rliegh »

I've tried Slackware 2.2 and 3.5 on a variety of machines; it seems to always die after floppy drive detection on both. I haven't tried with 128m but with 16m, 24m and 64m (I ran the real machines with those in the 90's).

[edit]Ditto for Redhat 5.1

I'm using pcem v12 on windows 10 on an amd a8; all that might be a contributing factor... :?
szadycbr

Post by szadycbr »

Hi there, after i crash my Ubuntu i installed antiX linux on my PC, and it is working well, it is full fledged linux.
So i thought, hmm maybe it will run in PCem, and to my surprise it runs very well, although it needs at least 300mhz cpu , otherwise it is tooooo slow.
My PC is not able to run at this speed of course, but it takes 3-4 min. to boot up and after playing with it for a while (JIT cache?) it really works well, its exactly same copy i have on my PC.
Attachments
antiX.jpg
antiX.jpg (116.53 KiB) Viewed 13292 times
szadycbr

Post by szadycbr »

Hi everyone, i just compiled the newest and checked all non-PAE puppy linuxes, all runs well, but i try AntiX again 16.2 does not boot anymore, so i got the old 7.5 and it does not boot either, just lock up PCem before boot manager. Why?
Last edited by szadycbr on Tue 24 Oct, 2017 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
szadycbr

Post by szadycbr »

I got running the AntiX linux, again, thanks to EluanCM in his post about problems with 64 bit dynarec. I simply deleted "CPU_REQUIRES_DYNAREC" in cpu.c on Mobile Pentium MMX 120 and when i turn of recompiler it runs , no probs. So its all good, as Sarah said , the 64bit dynarec is on Her list.
jznomoney

Post by jznomoney »

I compiled pcem for linux and it keeps complaining it needs roms. I copied the roms folder over from a working windows copy and it still does not work. Am I doing something wrong or just loosing my mind?
szadycbr

Post by szadycbr »

jznomoney, this was already answered in some posts, but here you go. Now when you run PCem in Linux it will create folder ".pcem" in your home directory, its hidden so you may need to turn option "show all" in file manager, and copy roms folder to this folder. Another thing is that Linux is case sensitive and you may need to rename some rom files from upper to lower case , as PCem might not "see" all systems.

EDIT : bit answered this here https://pcem-emulator.co.uk/phpBB3/view ... nfig#p6170
BoisterousSleet75

Post by BoisterousSleet75 »

Hi,

I've tried install S.u.S.E. Linux 5.3 into PCem, but it seems always stuck at floppy drive detection.

I'm using PCem v13.1 (Windows version) on Windows 10.

Also Happy New Year!
Attachments
QQ截图20180102141020.png
QQ截图20180102141020.png (21.7 KiB) Viewed 12664 times
Last edited by BoisterousSleet75 on Wed 03 Jan, 2018 4:31 am, edited 3 times in total.
Long Live Marxism-Leninism-Maoism! ☭
szadycbr

Post by szadycbr »

The problem is that floppy disk controller is broken on 430vx, and it does detect in bios but does not boot (broken). same if You install win 95/98 it might get stuck for a while at floppy detection, especially if You are trying manually install drivers and You chose source, then windows check floppy drive end it might be a looooong while until it actually will skip to c:, or cd-rom. exactely same thing occur if you have in real pc connected floppy drive but without the power cable. if You are willing to wait, it will eventually go through, if not then use advanced/EX board. i m not sure is it happen on windows version but for sure it is on Linux version of PCem, i reported this problem few times that 430vx does not boot from floppy, it wont read any disk on installed windows either, it only detects in bios that device is present.

Edit: have win XP on another partition, so i run windows version of 13.1 and confirm, floppy broken also on windows version in 430vx.
teppic

Post by teppic »

Distributions from around 2000 or so should run fine on a 486, I remember it was popular to stick Linux on those back then. The desktop systems were usable for sure if a bit rough around the edges.