Urgent. Wanted Dell "System 200" keyboard controller firmware

Support and general discussion.
roadrash

Urgent. Wanted Dell "System 200" keyboard controller firmware

Post by roadrash »

I own a real Dell System 200 and recently the keyboard controller failed which causes a Gate A20 error and the machine becomes unusable. The controller on these is a processor that has a memory (eprom) section which contains firmware as well.
I didn't know that these fail with age or I would have dumped the firmware out of the controller before it failed. The problem is, while I can buy a new chip, I cannot find any source for the firmware that will have to be programmed into it. Without this firmware it will not work. Its now very important to find a working "system 200" and get this firmware out of it before it disappears too, not just to fix mine but to stop all Dell 200's going extinct when these chips fail, which they all will in time. I have just backed up the BiOS firmware while its still there and given it to the Vintage Computer forums but we still need the Keyboard firmware too. Please if anyone has a working Dell "System 200" or a spare Keyboard controller please let me know.

cheers
Jon.
SarahWalker
Site Admin

Re: Urgent. Wanted Dell "System 200" keyboard controller firmware

Post by SarahWalker »

Sorry, I was going to look this wasn't I? I've just had a look through my chips and I couldn't find a System 200 keyboard controller - I found the BIOS ROMs but that's it I'm afraid!

Stupid question, but have you tried swapping in a different keyboard controller from another board? From memory AT keyboard controllers are all 8049s with more-or-less compatible firmware, and I don't think there's anything special in Dell's, so it _might_ work...