v14 compatibility & bug list (WIP)

Discussion of development and patch submission.
SarahWalker
Site Admin

Re: v14 compatibility & bug list (WIP)

Post by SarahWalker » Fri 12 Oct, 2018 10:51 am

Bye then!

For those still here , I don't work to deadlines or give out release dates - this isn't a job, and if I did feel like giving out dates they'd probably be incredibly inaccurate anyway. However, since it was specifically asked, no I don't think there'll be another release this year; the new recompiler is still too immature for that.

shermanp

Post by shermanp » Fri 12 Oct, 2018 11:06 am

SarahWalker wrote:
Fri 12 Oct, 2018 10:51 am
Bye then!

For those still here , I don't work to deadlines or give out release dates - this isn't a job, and if I did feel like giving out dates they'd probably be incredibly inaccurate anyway. However, since it was specifically asked, no I don't think there'll be another release this year; the new recompiler is still too immature for that.
Thanks for the update Sarah.

I'm also no longer feeling guilty about putting my VHD stuff on the back-burner, with the knowledge that there won't be an imminent release (I ran into a roadblock, and needed to step away from it for a while).

szadycbr

Post by szadycbr » Fri 12 Oct, 2018 11:22 am

I search forum but did not find anything, so i can tell that i checked Battle of Britain 1 by rowan software or so and is working well on 430vx 256mb sb16 and voodoo2 8mb. it does not run on virge dx/gx or voodoo1, maybe cos minimal requirements are 8mb of video memory? i was using release version of v14 for windows running on debian 9 with use of wineHQ 3.0, no probs at all. Performance wise? looks as if it is even slightly better than native linux ver.

Thank You Sarah for Your work, sadly You must sometimes put up with strange questions, but its is only cos people new to PCem forum has no idea of how much work You put in to it and You are using Your Free time to do it. i didnt know that either at the beginning, things are usually more complex than people usually think.
All the best :)

Cheez

Post by Cheez » Sat 13 Oct, 2018 5:51 pm

There's nothing strange about giving an estimate of a new release. What the hell is wrong with people here? Other people don't act this way about their projects.

szadycbr

Post by szadycbr » Sat 13 Oct, 2018 9:10 pm

Dear Cheez, may i elaborate on that a little? (obviously rhetoric question :) ) , You are right at some point, but look at bigger picture, how many other projects you know going almost 11 years? there was thousands strange questions adressed to Sarah during that time, Sarah actually very well explained why she dont want to tell release dates, updates, fixes, etc. Sometimes Sarah might feel irritated, She is only human. The reason also is that often people who ask questions about that kind of thing are also DEMANDING things to be done, which really will even make me angry, people often forgot that Sarah has a life outside PCem and She is a busy woman, this is only a hobby for Her satisfaction and we get all benefits for free, kudos for Her. She also most likely not first time had to explain this to people, and what also might make Her angry is that here is everything, on this very forum things had been said over and over and if people would care a little and try to research it, they will get most of the answers.
So as You can see, things are more complicated than it looks, so if You stay here a little bit longer You will see what the fuss is about. And again, we are only humans and me, You and Sarah, we all have sometimes problems and bad days, dont forget about that.

A. Naim

Post by A. Naim » Sat 13 Oct, 2018 10:11 pm

Cheez wrote:
Sat 13 Oct, 2018 5:51 pm
There's nothing strange about giving an estimate of a new release. What the hell is wrong with people here? Other people don't act this way about their projects.
The thing that you are missing here is that coordinating a project is a job that requires a specific set of skills. A roadmap takes into account hundreds of factors, from the items that need to be done for the project to be completed, to the people best suited to complete them, to the equipment needed for those teams members to complete those items, to the availability of said items, to factors I haven't even considered because I'm not a project manager. And that's a roadmap alone.

Sarah Walker is one person engineering a project, managing a website, managing a forum, managing a project, and managing a full-time job and a full-time life. Every single item that comes up can be assigned to one person. Every single item has to be done by that one person, and any volunteer work is a bonus.

leilei

Post by leilei » Sat 13 Oct, 2018 10:33 pm

I don't like being asked when my projects would be done and out either. Overentitlement is demotivation and derailing a compatibility list thread for WHEN PCEM is extremely rude to begin with.

xXLuckyXx

Post by xXLuckyXx » Sat 13 Oct, 2018 10:49 pm

szadycbr wrote:
Sat 13 Oct, 2018 9:10 pm
Dear Cheez, may i elaborate on that a little? (obviously rhetoric question :) ) , You are right at some point, but look at bigger picture, how many other projects you know going almost 11 years? there was thousands strange questions adressed to Sarah during that time, Sarah actually very well explained why she dont want to tell release dates, updates, fixes, etc. Sometimes Sarah might feel irritated, She is only human. The reason also is that often people who ask questions about that kind of thing are also DEMANDING things to be done, which really will even make me angry, people often forgot that Sarah has a life outside PCem and She is a busy woman, this is only a hobby for Her satisfaction and we get all benefits for free, kudos for Her. She also most likely not first time had to explain this to people, and what also might make Her angry is that here is everything, on this very forum things had been said over and over and if people would care a little and try to research it, they will get most of the answers.
So as You can see, things are more complicated than it looks, so if You stay here a little bit longer You will see what the fuss is about. And again, we are only humans and me, You and Sarah, we all have sometimes problems and bad days, dont forget about that.
And I'm not busy? You think I have entire days free to fuck around? If you get triggered by simple question about if it's going to be released this or next year then you don't deserve the attention of people. Did I ask and demanded the exact date? No. My first question was when can we expect a new release on which she could have said "Next year" or "Not this year" or "I don't know yet because there's a lot of things to do". And instead I got an arrogant answer like I did some crime or shit.

I have been observing Sarah too: every time someone asks about something she isn't in a mood, every time someone has an idea or request she isn't in a mood, every time she is acting like we are all kids and she is the only grown up here. I smell feminism here too. I hate that mentality.

I myself have projects where I dedicate my free time. I know how it feels to be asked constantly about when it's going to be done, released or else. That doesn't give me the right to be a dick to someone. The other thing is when a same person constantly asks the same question, that person deserves to get an arrogant answer. But for someone who asked this question for the first time; How the hell am I supposed to know if someone has asked the developer the same question 1000 times?

I don't care about someone's sensitivity. When you are on forum you are an admin and nothing else. You can't give yourself the right to be a dick to someone because you are sensitive or the only admin here. That's abuse of admin power and believe me that people don't like that and will turn around and leave. We have lives too and we are humans too and I expect to be treated like a human and not like a pile of shit left on the road.

szadycbr

Post by szadycbr » Sun 14 Oct, 2018 6:48 am

"But for someone who asked this question for the first time; How the hell am I supposed to know if someone has asked the developer the same question 1000 times?" ? first check the forum, there will be your answer.

"every time someone has an idea or request she isn't in a mood" ? yeah, REQUEST, that is the problem.

"I don't care about someone's sensitivity" ??? then ..ck you too, why then Sarah should care if you dont?

" I smell feminism here too" i doubt that, dont put up such conclussions without knowing other person life, but if so then that is Her playground, and yes i was triggered sometimes too, but it did come from my arrogance and not reading the basic rules. Beside i smell masculinist here, the man who cant stand that woman has any power over him.

"When you are on forum you are an admin and nothing else. You can't give yourself the right to be a dick to someone because you are sensitive or the only admin here" ??? well, yes , you have right to do what ever you want in that case, also i wouldnt say She act like a dick, Her answers are only straight , right up to the point, She does not need to be carefull nor extremally politeful to not offend anyone as offending anyone is not her intention, this forum is for developers and testers not for someone who want to know where he/she can get new version.

before You said "I'm not pushing it. I want to know if I should wait with updating my PC or should I update it this year for PCem performance." and Sarah did explain that she does not want to feel to have dead line, and feel guilty that she didnt make it and also You could blame Her later on, that She broke Your plans with updating Your PC.

I got nothing against You personally ,and sure You have Your life too, and if You say You are not a child, You should understand that someone might have bad day and put up with it like a Man, not like sensitive .itch who claim that he dont care about somone sensivity. (i dont know your gender)

Apologies to Everyone, for making things worse, everytime i try to "fix" something, seems i made it worse, i wil try to keep my mouth shut, sorry and maybe we should make new thread? alike "my thoughts, feelings and frustrations with Admin" as this should not continue here :)

terub56

Post by terub56 » Sun 14 Oct, 2018 8:51 am

This project is a hobby, not a work.

It's an open source project as well. If someone wants to add something it is possible to download the source and modify it.

SarahWalker
Site Admin

Post by SarahWalker » Sun 14 Oct, 2018 9:12 am

xXLuckyXx's ban should come as no surprise to anyone at this point.

Locking this thread as it has gone wildly off topic - this was supposed to be compatibility testing prior to the v14 release.

Oh - and anyone who thinks feminism is a bad thing can frankly fuck right off.