How to connect a folder in PCem to my own Computer?

Support and general discussion.
affywolf

How to connect a folder in PCem to my own Computer?

Post by affywolf » Sat 11 May, 2019 5:45 pm

Aghhh I've set it up before, but I think I'm using the wrong terms for searching what I need done. (Had to set my emulator back up cuz I got a new computer)
If anyone can give me a quick pointer or find another thread, it'd be much appreciated! Can't seem to find what I'm looking for x.x

So I have a driver file on my main computer, I know there's a way to put it in a folder that connects to PCem so I may install it. I just can't recall or find any tutorials on how to set that up.

Katakis

Re: How to connect a folder in PCem to my own Computer?

Post by Katakis » Sun 12 May, 2019 1:18 pm

I'd use WinImage to create a new disk image then transfer the driver file onto the image. Then when you boot up your OS within PCem, you will be able to drag the driver file onto the desktop or just load up the driver from whatever drive the disk is in.

(eg: if you created a 1.4M image with the driver on it, and put it in A: drive, you will be able to access A: from whatever OS you are using, and then you can click on the driver file)

leilei

Post by leilei » Mon 13 May, 2019 2:23 am

If you've got a CD-ROM drive in the guest, you could probably make a folder with your stuff, use mkisofs with that folder via a batch file to refresh the ISO and mount that.

Dulton

Post by Dulton » Sun 09 Jun, 2019 4:18 pm

Ages ago (20+ years) I created this feature for an Amstrad CPC emulator by creating a custom ROM image with some "unusual" IN instructions to trigger access to the file system of the host.
This was very easy to do as the file system is part of the Firmware (BIOS).

But on PCs this is not the case...
There are many operating systems with even more different file systems, so creating something similar at a file system level would be a lot of work if different operating systems are to be supported.
I can see some solutions on a lower level by presenting the contents of a folder (and subfolders) as a write-protected hard drive using a virtual FAT16 or FAT32 partition.

As with the CPC, a custom ROM could be created to handle INT 13h calls, but any OS other than CP/M and DOS would bypass INT 13h. Therefor a virtual IDE device would be best.

abk4523

Post by abk4523 » Mon 10 Jun, 2019 10:01 am

Just curious. I know in Windows 98 you can set up a home network (workgroup?) and share files between computers using Windows file sharing. Does PCem support this feature?

Dulton

Post by Dulton » Mon 10 Jun, 2019 11:35 am

It should as basically all you need is networking. This will even work from DOS.
But it does take a bit more than just clicking on a checkbox. You need to be sure that the emulated machine and the host are using the same protocols.

Take e.g. a basic XT with a NE2000 network card. The DOS (and Windows?) drivers that originally came with this Ethernet device would talk NETBIOS and IPX/SPX, protocols that have been dropped in favour of TCP/IP nowadays.
So first you need to find/get the drivers that make this network card talk TCP/IP.
Now for file (and printer) access to need another protocol as well. FTP, SMB (SAMBA), NFS, lots of options there. And you need some client software so you can actually make use of the protocol and features.

In case of your Windows 98... Windows 98 should have support for TCP/IP and SMB. If your host is Windows, you should be able to set up a workgroup. In case of Linux, you'll have to ook into SAMBA.

abk4523

Post by abk4523 » Tue 11 Jun, 2019 11:39 am

Good to know. If anyone is brave enough to try it, post your results. I am curious.