Growable HDD images.

Support and general discussion.
ruthan

Growable HDD images.

Post by ruthan »

Hello,
all modern virtualization tools, has growable image files, pleas add support for it too. At least some disk image resize options would be good.
I think that there already would be some libraries for already existing disk formats like vhd, vhdi, vhdx, vmdk etc.
resle

Re: Growable HDD images.

Post by resle »

you might want to consider the tone of your message, which is bound to hurt a few sensibilities here given it sounds a bit like "hey other emulators have this feature and yours don't, so go on and add it! (whiplash)". When it comes to free software I suppose a proposal is always more welcome than a request.

With this out the way, vhd support including dynamic resizing is already being developed by forum member shermanp:

http://pcem-emulator.co.uk/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3056
It just was't included in a stable build, yet.
ruthan

Post by ruthan »

I thing that "pleas add" should be good enough.

Otherwise thanks for info.
leilei

Post by leilei »

You should also realize the VMs software you mention are a completely different animal. They're primarily corporately supported and have far more programmers and their ability to run videogames is more of an unsupported side effect.
ruthan

Post by ruthan »

I dont mind if some good emulators would be for money, on Android that business is working and even some Steam / Gog game are using some sort of emulators.

Virtualization software and gaming - im not sure if situation not changed with Cloud gaming streaming? It is still running on physical machines - 1 machine - 1 player at the time? It would be good case from virtualization too, maybe Vmware and Nvidia / AMD already made something for that (Update: There is now much info, only that is running on Debian and with custom Xeons, AMD GPUs, so i would guess that there could be some KVM and GPU pass through in game.. maybe even Windows in guests, otherwise good luck, because i dont that developers would port games to such platform).

Otherwise i dont have idea how much work is add some feature to PCem, if it has bad/good time/performance ratio, i just asking.

At least Virtualbox, QEMU are open source and have such feature, so maybe it can be easily replicated. I dunno why *.img raw format was used, if is easier to implement that others.. i only know that even some backup software from no so big companions are now using *.vhd growable disk images, so it would be probably not super hard to implement them.
resle

Post by resle »

leilei wrote: Sat 25 Jan, 2020 2:33 am You should also realize the VMs software you mention are a completely different animal.
leilei, I think it's pointless to argue. I mean...
http://pcem-emulator.co.uk/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3009&p=10729
for your reference :roll:
ruthan

Post by ruthan »

resle wrote: Thu 06 Feb, 2020 2:56 am leilei, I think it's pointless to argue. I mean...
We will see, 80% of emulators was already ported to Android and there is enough horsepower for emulation at least old machines on phones, more on tables and even more on machines as Nvidia Shield. And there is Android x86, i have few machines with it and there is same cpu power as on any other desktop OS.