Future sound card musings

Support and general discussion.
Cheez

Re: Future sound card musings

Post by Cheez »

It's been said before, I think, but there's entirely no reason to incorporate MUNT into PCem when just being able to emulate midi out not only solves that issue with a more reasonable amount of effort, but also pretty much every other external midi solution both real and externally emulated. At that point, the only thing that remains regards games that require mpu-401 intelligent mode to function.

I feel it's also more true to PCem's design that these separate external midi devices remain separate from PCem itself.
Benedikt

Post by Benedikt »

What about all those home-brew sound cards for Tandy sound on non-Tandy machines?
The emulation code is already there.
Siggy12

Post by Siggy12 »

Please guys add MPU-401 it is really important for attach dos environment to MUNT for a great experience!
DMJC

Post by DMJC »

Regarding the AWE64, there's a PCI version called the AWE64D, and a bunch of motherboards supported an interface called SB-Link which allowed the AWE64D and some Yamaha cards to receive ISA instructions in DOS despite being PCI cards. More information is here: https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?t=48205 Rather than integrating Munt/Fluidsynth etc. Is midi redirection something that would be supported? I have physical midi synths (MT-32 and SC-55). As long as the Midi cards can be redirected to either USB adapters, or put out to Software ports. The Midi signals can be redirected to software or hardware synths on the host PC.
Siggy12

Post by Siggy12 »

SarahWalker wrote: Wed 09 Dec, 2020 10:17 pm
terub56 wrote: Wed 09 Dec, 2020 8:47 pm Thanks. Any plans for Roland MT-32?
You can already emulate that using Munt.
what can I do in DOS previous 6.22 without "SOFTMPU-401" ?
Please SarahWalker Add emulation of MPU401 board so that we can link it on MUNT.
SarahWalker
Site Admin

Post by SarahWalker »

Siggy12 wrote: Sat 03 Apr, 2021 8:08 am Please SarahWalker Add emulation of MPU401 board so that we can link it on MUNT.
I've made it very clear that I'm not interested. Stop asking.
SeanB

Post by SeanB »

SarahWalker wrote: Mon 05 Apr, 2021 3:32 pm
Siggy12 wrote: Sat 03 Apr, 2021 8:08 am Please SarahWalker Add emulation of MPU401 board so that we can link it on MUNT.

While I do find the constant pressuring annoying and extremely rude, and would completely understand if you aren't interested, you only previously made clear that you're not interested in adding MT-32 support.

SarahWalker wrote: Wed 09 Dec, 2020 10:17 pm
terub56 wrote: Wed 09 Dec, 2020 8:47 pm Thanks. Any plans for Roland MT-32?
You can already emulate that using Munt.

I would agree that it's pointless to incorporate Munt since it's easy to use externally. However, you had not previously replied about adding MPU-401 support so that Munt could be used as an external application when intelligent mode is required. It's good to know your stance on that. I can take a look at porting intelligent mode from other emulators and submitting a patch, but I'll probably not have time to look at this for several months.
Siggy12

Post by Siggy12 »

SarahWalker wrote: Mon 05 Apr, 2021 3:32 pm
Thank You Sarah for reply and sorry if I have bother You it wasn't my intention.
Hope that You'll change your mind in future cause this board is important
for link Pcem to MUNT in old dos versions from 5 and previous.
MannyMania

Post by MannyMania »

Hi all. I have an old P4 mainboard with 2 ISA sockets on it. I also have a Roland SCC-1 card and a SB Awe32 working fine on Windows XP. For old Dos games that don't run on Pentium CPUs, is it possible to create a DOS mode 486 computer with Pcem that can use the physical cards?

Cheers!!
MM
unreal9010

Post by unreal9010 »

The only pieces of hardware in the host machine that PCem could access directly are the CD/DVD drives. Note that this might lead to severe performance degradations, so it's recommended not to use them. Instead, you should use image-mounting tools or even mount the image files directly with PCem, if they're in ISO or BIN/CUE format.
MannyMania

Post by MannyMania »

Ok thanks for letting me know. I was thinking it could get Roland midi sound since the card is in the system.

Cheers.
MM
Arjen42

Post by Arjen42 »

If the host supports the midi device, you can pass it through the emulated midi out. On the Sound card tab select Sound Blaster AWE 32. Sound Blaster 16 or Aztech Sound Galaxy Pro 16 AB may also work. Then click on the button on the right. In the Device Configuration window select the MIDI out device. If you're lucky you can choose either the Microsoft software synthesizer and the Roland SCC-1.

You should have the Sound Blaster properly configured, e.g. set blaster, midi, and sound environment variables and run diagnose.exe /s from autoexec.bat. You can use diagnose.exe to set this up. I don't know how this work with Aztech cards.

As an alternative you could install Munt, an MT-32 emulator for Windows, and hook it up to PCem in the same way.
MrPepka

Post by MrPepka »

Is it possible to emulate sound cards from Avance Logic ALS100, ALS120, ALS4000? Someone asked about these cards before and got no answer. Are these cards documented or not?
Arjen42

Post by Arjen42 »

Why do you want to emulate a sound card that emulates a Sound Blaster card? Sound Blaster is already emulated by PCem, why don't use that sound card?
MrPepka

Post by MrPepka »

These cards had 3D Audio support, so I want to emulate them for this reason
wishusknight

Post by wishusknight »

MrPepka wrote: Mon 08 Aug, 2022 4:49 pm These cards had 3D Audio support, so I want to emulate them for this reason
Avance Logic is not the one to go for. The real gem would be an Aureal Vortex or an ESS Canyon 3d-2.
MrPepka

Post by MrPepka »

There is no documentation for Aureal Vortex cards, so they are unlikely to be implemented. And there is probably something to Avance Logic cards
wishusknight

Post by wishusknight »

MrPepka wrote: Tue 09 Aug, 2022 12:38 pm There is no documentation for Aureal Vortex cards, so they are unlikely to be implemented. And there is probably something to Avance Logic cards
If I am not mistaken, A3d itself can be emulated. Though that is far from a complete board emulation.
leilei

Post by leilei »

A bump to point out there's now an effort at reversing ESFM to understand it better
https://github.com/jwt27/esfm