ANNOUNCEMENT: MichaelJManley taking over as PCem maintainer

Support and general discussion.
Jonathan McEvoy

Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: MichaelJManley taking over as PCem maintainer

Post by Jonathan McEvoy »

MichaelJManley wrote: Sat 30 Jul, 2022 9:01 am
Sooga wrote: Wed 20 Jul, 2022 9:28 am So is PCEM dead? No news for a long time. I hope the new manager didn't get immediately overwhelmed due to so much focus on 'realism'. If you feel overwhelmed don't be afraid to make sacrifices for performance,etc whatever you feel is necessary to keep the project alive. It's all about balance baby! Balance. Too much of one thing isn't always good.

If I wanted a 1950s retro car I wouldn't want the actual engine and parts that came with it but rather I would go as close as reasonably possible while having some modern efficiency depending on the situation at hand. Same if I wanted a Stanely Steamer. You gotta know your limits and not get overwhelmed.
More like I have a life and some other projects that need my time too :)

I want to try to get a release out soon, but I also have another project that needs a release this year as well, so I'm teeter-totering between PCem and that other project.

Trust me, I know there hasn't been a release out for a while, but you can easily use the dev builds to see a process and get bug reports out for the vNext builds which will be v18 once I feel its clean enough for a release (https://github.com/sarah-walker-pcem/pc ... builds.yml)
Are you getting the new VooDoo graphics cards and maybe optimizing it for 64-bit and dropping support for Windows XP/Vista/7/8 and only supporting it for Windows 10/11 64-bit and I would love to hope that a new V18 will be released with Pentium III and VooDoo 5 graphics card if possible and making sure it is working perfectly and will CD-Rom drive player work fast or would you have to use CD-Rom image for this to work properly with no lag?
Jonathan McEvoy

Post by Jonathan McEvoy »

I hope V18 is released this year?
unreal9010

Post by unreal9010 »

Jonathan McEvoy wrote: Wed 03 Aug, 2022 1:03 pm
MichaelJManley wrote: Sat 30 Jul, 2022 9:01 am
Sooga wrote: Wed 20 Jul, 2022 9:28 am So is PCEM dead? No news for a long time. I hope the new manager didn't get immediately overwhelmed due to so much focus on 'realism'. If you feel overwhelmed don't be afraid to make sacrifices for performance,etc whatever you feel is necessary to keep the project alive. It's all about balance baby! Balance. Too much of one thing isn't always good.

If I wanted a 1950s retro car I wouldn't want the actual engine and parts that came with it but rather I would go as close as reasonably possible while having some modern efficiency depending on the situation at hand. Same if I wanted a Stanely Steamer. You gotta know your limits and not get overwhelmed.
More like I have a life and some other projects that need my time too :)

I want to try to get a release out soon, but I also have another project that needs a release this year as well, so I'm teeter-totering between PCem and that other project.

Trust me, I know there hasn't been a release out for a while, but you can easily use the dev builds to see a process and get bug reports out for the vNext builds which will be v18 once I feel its clean enough for a release (https://github.com/sarah-walker-pcem/pc ... builds.yml)
Are you getting the new VooDoo graphics cards and maybe optimizing it for 64-bit and dropping support for Windows XP/Vista/7/8 and only supporting it for Windows 10/11 64-bit and I would love to hope that a new V18 will be released with Pentium III and VooDoo 5 graphics card if possible and making sure it is working perfectly and will CD-Rom drive player work fast or would you have to use CD-Rom image for this to work properly with no lag?
As said MULTIPLE times before, Pentium III and Voodoo 5 are not coming anytime soon, if ever. Even today's fastest processors (such as my 12900 KF) can't run the fastest processors of Pentium II class at 100% the whole time, so there isn't much point in adding Pentium III emulation for the time being.
As for Voodoo 5: there simply isn't enough technical information available. For example, there is no public documentation available for the VSA-100, meaning that implementing Voodoo 5 support would require A LOT of reverse engineering, a thing that would eventually accomplish very little. The problem is that Voodoo 5 was only a little bit faster than Voodoo 3 and had pretty much the same lifespan due to its lack of support for Hardware T&L, meaning that most of the 3D titles from the mid 2002 onwards will simply not work with it.
leilei

Post by leilei »

Jonathan McEvoy wrote: Wed 03 Aug, 2022 1:03 pm maybe optimizing it for 64-bit and dropping support for Windows XP/Vista/7/8 and only supporting it for Windows 10/11 64-bit
spontaneous platform regressions doesn't amount to progress. Doing that won't make the handmade assembly dynarec code more assemblier.
wishusknight

Post by wishusknight »

unreal9010 wrote: Wed 03 Aug, 2022 3:21 pm As said MULTIPLE times before, Pentium III and Voodoo 5 are not coming anytime soon,
PIII support would be good only to have SSE emulation. But I would probably think a fictitious speed grade would need to be implemented to ensure smooth performance on most systems. Like a P3 200mhz.

It would be pretty neat for software testing, but that is probably about it. Software that needed SSE is software that will run under newer OS's. And generally will have updates for modern platforms. And I have a hard time justifying PCEM eveb going as high as MMX anyhow.
wishusknight

Post by wishusknight »

Jonathan McEvoy wrote: Wed 03 Aug, 2022 1:03 pm Are you getting the new VooDoo graphics cards and maybe optimizing it for 64-bit and dropping support for Windows XP/Vista/7/8 and only supporting it for Windows 10/11 64-bit and I would love to hope that a new V18 will be released with Pentium III and VooDoo 5 graphics card if possible and making sure it is working perfectly and will CD-Rom drive player work fast or would you have to use CD-Rom image for this to work properly with no lag?
I ran out of breath reading that..... There are more appropriate base band glide wrappers if you want that level of performance. VSA100 really brought nothing to the table for glide. My V3 3000 has just as good of quality as my V5 does in most glide titles. And in cases where I turn on FSAA and high depth color, i use nGlide on a modern machine and get even better quality with performance that even next gen voodoo hardware could only dream of. Finding core 2 or late p4 computers locally is super easy to do and they all run XP which can do this sort of thing perfectly.

Right tools for the job.
Sooga

Post by Sooga »

wishusknight wrote: Thu 04 Aug, 2022 3:00 am
Jonathan McEvoy wrote: Wed 03 Aug, 2022 1:03 pm Are you getting the new VooDoo graphics cards and maybe optimizing it for 64-bit and dropping support for Windows XP/Vista/7/8 and only supporting it for Windows 10/11 64-bit and I would love to hope that a new V18 will be released with Pentium III and VooDoo 5 graphics card if possible and making sure it is working perfectly and will CD-Rom drive player work fast or would you have to use CD-Rom image for this to work properly with no lag?
I ran out of breath reading that..... There are more appropriate base band glide wrappers if you want that level of performance. VSA100 really brought nothing to the table for glide. My V3 3000 has just as good of quality as my V5 does in most glide titles. And in cases where I turn on FSAA and high depth color, i use nGlide on a modern machine and get even better quality with performance that even next gen voodoo hardware could only dream of. Finding core 2 or late p4 computers locally is super easy to do and they all run XP which can do this sort of thing perfectly.

Right tools for the job.
I've never heard anything so ridiculous in my ENTIRE life! I don't know whether to laugh or cry. No it's NOT super easy to find one unless you scrounge on Ebay and hope your not getting a dog. Dad always warned me to not trust Ebay he has been ripped off twice with a Commodore 64 and both had the same broken J key. This was back in the early 00s. Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice..........
MrPepka

Post by MrPepka »

I have a question. Is it possible to emulate the 3DO Blaster card? I am curious how this equipment worked, and it is quite rare (and for the old ISA bus)
unreal9010

Post by unreal9010 »

Sooga wrote: Fri 05 Aug, 2022 3:56 pm

Right tools for the job.
I've never heard anything so ridiculous in my ENTIRE life! I don't know whether to laugh or cry. No it's NOT super easy to find one unless you scrounge on Ebay and hope your not getting a dog. Dad always warned me to not trust Ebay he has been ripped off twice with a Commodore 64 and both had the same broken J key. This was back in the early 00s. Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice..........
eBay is an online marketplace where various sellers from all over the world list their items for sale. Although it's possible to get scammed, eBay also offers buyer protection with every transaction. I've been buying stuff from eBay sellers since the mid 2000s and never got ripped off. Of course I bought stuff (preferably brand new) only from reputable sellers and only by using Paypal which served as an additional layer of protection.
And yes, there are plenty of P3 and P4 processors listed at various eBay sites and available at an affordable price, some of them even in a brand new state.
Many of these things may also be available at Amazon marketplace (which is even more consumer friendly than eBay) or other similar sites.
Arjen42

Post by Arjen42 »

MrPepka wrote: Sat 06 Aug, 2022 6:11 pm I have a question. Is it possible to emulate the 3DO Blaster card? I am curious how this equipment worked, and it is quite rare (and for the old ISA bus)
First, this is a new question you should have opened a separated topic for.

The answer is no. Just like the Amstrad Mega PC, which PCem only emulates the PC part, this is out of scope for PCem. You should look for a 3DO emulator to emulate 3DO games.

If you are interested in 3DO, you may want to look at those video's, if you haven't seen those before:
wishusknight

Post by wishusknight »

Arjen42 wrote: Sat 06 Aug, 2022 8:44 pm
The answer is no. Just like the Amstrad Mega PC, which PCem only emulates the PC part, this is out of scope for PCem.
Now I find out.. I wasted 3 days tryin to get my MD roms to work. :(
Sooga

Post by Sooga »

unreal9010 wrote: Sat 06 Aug, 2022 6:36 pm

Right tools for the job.
eBay is an online marketplace where various sellers from all over the world list their items for sale. Although it's possible to get scammed, eBay also offers buyer protection with every transaction. I've been buying stuff from eBay sellers since the mid 2000s and never got ripped off. Of course I bought stuff (preferably brand new) only from reputable sellers and only by using Paypal which served as an additional layer of protection.
And yes, there are plenty of P3 and P4 processors listed at various eBay sites and available at an affordable price, some of them even in a brand new state.
Many of these things may also be available at Amazon marketplace (which is even more consumer friendly than eBay) or other similar sites.
LOL. Maybe things changed since the mid 2000s but it was awful before. It only takes it happening twice to screw you. We got a Commodore 64 twice from Ebay as our original the J key finally broke in the late 90s and you know what? BOTH HAD THE SAME BROKEN KEY!!! The J key seems to be a common key that breaks. :o

Amazon hasn't sold old computers in a decade now. They USED to have retro stuff like that but they stopped in 2014ish and all you see now are business Optiplex machines which are dogs. We gotten two of them actually because I believed another person like you that said the very same thing. Both times we were ripped off as they were designed to not be able to change things around. Business machines have a different way of wiring and hooking things in.

It's hard to explain but Dad noticed the differences right away when openign them up and he wish he had done it sooner but was afraid of voiding the warranty of them if he had tried to add stuff in. Once we did we put some of our old sound cards in or graphics cards as we never throw things away when we get a newer computer. We always store old computers away for parts later.

Here is what I'm talking about: https://www.amazon.com/Optiplex-GX780-S ... 115&sr=1-3 this is the top result and despite it being the most expensive option at 183$ it just has a crappy onboard card and none of the reviews do games on them. They just do it for business purposes which is what these Optiplexes are for to begin with as Optiplex itself means it's catered to business people rather then runing games and 3D software. I'm sure at that price it must run fast but the drivers will be all weird.

Doesn't mean these can't run a game or two but you'll have a sucky experience trying to see what works and doesn't and mostly likely be disappointed if you try to run anything beyond 3D Pinball. Most of my childhood educational games will work at an okay level but have the wrong colors for more then half of them. IE: Zoombini's Mountain Rescue needs 24 bit color to work or you get 'Unable To Set Video Mode'.

There IS a work around where you can turn Direct 3D off but then one of the puzzles don't work right and you can't complete it duet o the bug. So yeah Amazon's computers MOSTLY cater to business end of things unless you pay a pretty price for a high end I7 gaming laptop and most are WAY overpriced for the lack of features they offer based on reviews and performance checks
unreal9010

Post by unreal9010 »

Sooga wrote: Fri 12 Aug, 2022 7:59 pm

LOL. Maybe things changed since the mid 2000s but it was awful before. It only takes it happening twice to screw you. We got a Commodore 64 twice from Ebay as our original the J key finally broke in the late 90s and you know what? BOTH HAD THE SAME BROKEN KEY!!! The J key seems to be a common key that breaks. :o

Amazon hasn't sold old computers in a decade now. They USED to have retro stuff like that but they stopped in 2014ish and all you see now are business Optiplex machines which are dogs. We gotten two of them actually because I believed another person like you that said the very same thing. Both times we were ripped off as they were designed to not be able to change things around. Business machines have a different way of wiring and hooking things in.

It's hard to explain but Dad noticed the differences right away when openign them up and he wish he had done it sooner but was afraid of voiding the warranty of them if he had tried to add stuff in. Once we did we put some of our old sound cards in or graphics cards as we never throw things away when we get a newer computer. We always store old computers away for parts later.

Here is what I'm talking about: https://www.amazon.com/Optiplex-GX780-S ... 115&sr=1-3 this is the top result and despite it being the most expensive option at 183$ it just has a crappy onboard card and none of the reviews do games on them. They just do it for business purposes which is what these Optiplexes are for to begin with as Optiplex itself means it's catered to business people rather then runing games and 3D software. I'm sure at that price it must run fast but the drivers will be all weird.

Doesn't mean these can't run a game or two but you'll have a sucky experience trying to see what works and doesn't and mostly likely be disappointed if you try to run anything beyond 3D Pinball. Most of my childhood educational games will work at an okay level but have the wrong colors for more then half of them. IE: Zoombini's Mountain Rescue needs 24 bit color to work or you get 'Unable To Set Video Mode'.

There IS a work around where you can turn Direct 3D off but then one of the puzzles don't work right and you can't complete it duet o the bug. So yeah Amazon's computers MOSTLY cater to business end of things unless you pay a pretty price for a high end I7 gaming laptop and most are WAY overpriced for the lack of features they offer based on reviews and performance checks
Nonsense. Like I said I've been making eBay purchases during that time too and never got scammed. The rule of thumb on eBay has since always been to use Paypal as a method of payment since it's the most reliable one for consumers, carefully read the item's description and look at all the photos provided, thoroughly check the seller's feedback and (whenever possible) buy a brand new item (possibly still factory sealed). I remember that even if you didn't use Paypal as your way of making a transaction, you were still covered by eBay as long as you were able to provide them with a proof of payment.
However, some malicious sellers would trick their buyers through private messages into making transactions outside of eBay (a thing strictly prohibited on eBay), usually by offering them to sell the item at a considerably cheaper price, often by using a method of payment that is not so easy to trace or provides no particular buyer protection on its own. In such situations eBay could not have helped the buyer of course and may have even banned them along with the seller.
I did have a few situations when I received damaged goods (due to poor packaging) or even a wrong item. In such cases sellers would refund me and, as far as I remember, would even tell me to keep the item. However, a couple of them didn't bother responding or refused to admit their mistake. In that case, I would just file a complaint either with eBay or Paypal and then receive my refund within a day or two.

Anyway, let's go back to our main topic and not spam the forums with totally irrelevant stuff.
Sooga

Post by Sooga »

unreal9010 wrote: Sat 13 Aug, 2022 8:47 am
Sooga wrote: Fri 12 Aug, 2022 7:59 pm

Nonsense. Like I said I've been making eBay purchases during that time too and never got scammed. The rule of thumb on eBay has since always been to use Paypal as a method of payment since it's the most reliable one for consumers, carefully read the item's description and look at all the photos provided, thoroughly check the seller's feedback and (whenever possible) buy a brand new item (possibly still factory sealed). I remember that even if you didn't use Paypal as your way of making a transaction, you were still covered by eBay as long as you were able to provide them with a proof of payment.
However, some malicious sellers would trick their buyers through private messages into making transactions outside of eBay (a thing strictly prohibited on eBay), usually by offering them to sell the item at a considerably cheaper price, often by using a method of payment that is not so easy to trace or provides no particular buyer protection on its own. In such situations eBay could not have helped the buyer of course and may have even banned them along with the seller.
I did have a few situations when I received damaged goods (due to poor packaging) or even a wrong item. In such cases sellers would refund me and, as far as I remember, would even tell me to keep the item. However, a couple of them didn't bother responding or refused to admit their mistake. In that case, I would just file a complaint either with eBay or Paypal and then receive my refund within a day or two.

Anyway, let's go back to our main topic and not spam the forums with totally irrelevant stuff.
If you want to stay stuck in your bubble okay but it really did happen to us twice I refuse to change the story to please you. Each time we returned the Commodore 64 with the same broken J key. Twice was enough from different sellers and different times widely apart.

Now we are done with the topic.
wishusknight

Post by wishusknight »

Where I live, which is a rural town in canada, I can put an ad on facebook marketplace to ask for a free pentium 4 computer, and I will have 4 or 5 replies within a day. Local recyclers sometimes let you take scrap hardware as well.

Pentium 3 machines are not so easy to find but just keep looking at marketplace. Now unless you live somewhere else in the world that is behind the curve in technology, then maybe.
wishusknight

Post by wishusknight »

Sooga wrote: Mon 29 Aug, 2022 11:46 am
If you want to stay stuck in your bubble okay but it really did happen to us twice I refuse to change the story to please you. Each time we returned the Commodore 64 with the same broken J key. Twice was enough from different sellers and different times widely apart.

Now we are done with the topic.
I have had some bad experiences with Ebay, but mostly I have done pretty good. Its all about communication and finding high rated sellers and looking at feedback. For retro stuff it can be great for finding niche parts to complete a project, but its gotten extremely expensive for a lot of things older than classic Pentium.

I have honestly done far better locally but still have picked up a few things online. I have also bought things from youtube retro channels as well. They often are willing to pass something on to others who will appreciate it. But the condescending tone is really dullard.
emily

Post by emily »

I have a feeling that "Michael J. Manley" doesn't actually exist.

At some point in the development of CCS 64, a Commodore 64 emulator, the author Peter Hakan Sundell couldn't withstand the pressure from users and after vanishing for a while, he apparently handed over everything to a Stuart John Toomer.

Except, there was never any other trace of this Toomer guy elsewhere on the internet.
Most likely, Stuart John Toomer was a new persona created by Sundell as a way of resetting his relationship with users.

I obviously can't be sure, but get the strongest readings that this could be the case with Sarah / Michael, too.
ruben_balea

Post by ruben_balea »

Wow, that's exactly what actually happened. By the way my name is Elvis Presley and I've been pretending to be dead all these years, don't tell anyone the truth :roll:
MichaelJManley

Post by MichaelJManley »

emily wrote: Wed 02 Aug, 2023 12:59 am I have a feeling that "Michael J. Manley" doesn't actually exist.

At some point in the development of CCS 64, a Commodore 64 emulator, the author Peter Hakan Sundell couldn't withstand the pressure from users and after vanishing for a while, he apparently handed over everything to a Stuart John Toomer.

Except, there was never any other trace of this Toomer guy elsewhere on the internet.
Most likely, Stuart John Toomer was a new persona created by Sundell as a way of resetting his relationship with users.

I obviously can't be sure, but get the strongest readings that this could be the case with Sarah / Michael, too.
Wow... Thats a good conspiracy theory!

Though you fail at Google: https://lmgtfy.app/?q=michael+manley+nasutek

I'm positive after the few conversations I had with Sarah, she would even waste her time doing something so dumb and people like you are why she drove herself to give up on the project. So next time you think I'm a fake, remember, I have a Job, I have a Life, which could be why I am not answering every day.

I didn't even half to answer this but it felt good to answer such a retarded ass notion! lol.
emily

Post by emily »

MichaelJManley wrote: Wed 09 Aug, 2023 1:20 am I didn't even half to answer this but it felt good to answer such a retarded ass notion! lol.
That is a very, very rude remark, Michael 😞
ruben_balea

Post by ruben_balea »

emily wrote: Wed 09 Aug, 2023 10:20 pm
MichaelJManley wrote: Wed 09 Aug, 2023 1:20 am I didn't even half to answer this but it felt good to answer such a retarded ass notion! lol.
Well, that is what is known as a harsh reality check and it is what happens when you waste the time of a person who does exist and has more important things to do.
Anyway don't take it the wrong way, weird theories like conspiracy theories and so on can be fun and/or entertaining, but you have to reserve them for the right places, I think Reddit might be a good option.
This forum is to try to improve PCem and thus be able to run our "vintage" video games and programs in the most similar way to how we originally did it, including the peculiarities of using different computers with the immense possible combinations of CPUs, graphics cards, sound cards and other devices, at least those of us who are getting a bit older :lol:
Here we never talked about cars, movies, series, soccer, etc. otherwise the forum would be a mess filled with the daily life issues of each member and finding information relevant for PCem would be almost impossible.
You are welcome to ask any questions you have about PCem and the operating systems, video games and programs that can run on it, to offer solutions and to make suggestions for features that you would like to find in PCem, although they do have to be realistic, like a DVD-ROM drive (already in the list) don't ask for the ability to emulate hardware that was sold still 15 years ago.
emily

Post by emily »

ruben_balea wrote: Wed 09 Aug, 2023 11:32 pm
Well, that is what is known as a harsh re
Wow aren't we wordy, are we? ...
MichaelJManley

Post by MichaelJManley »

Well, honestly, I can say it's kind of rude to call me fake lol. What you expect me to do?