Networking on V17

Support and general discussion.
cricket

Networking on V17

Post by cricket »

Hi, I'm new to the forum. I'm very pleased with this software, it's really something else.

I'm trying to set up my first VM but there are no options available to me to set up the network device via GUI. I made sure I compiled it with --enable-networking. Here's a screenshot.

https://imgur.com/g2MgTw0

Maybe I could do configure it by editing the .cfg file? But I couldn't find a manual detailing all the available options. Where can I find more information?

Thank you
cricket

Re: Networking on V17

Post by cricket »

UPDATE
It seems that it didn't take my flag for some reason the first time, I must have made a mistake.
I recompiled again and...

Now it works!

I'd still like very much to check a manual with all the cfg file options. Is there such a thing?

For the record the cfg option for a NE2000 is:
netcard = ne2000
cricket

Post by cricket »

I didn't fully test it until now and it seems it's not configured correctly or something.
I added the NE2000 device, with IRQ 10 and address 300 (matching the hardware config)

Code: Select all

[Novell NE2000]
addr = 768
irq = 10 
On Windows 98 It automatically configures itself like this:

IP Address . . . .  10.0.2.15
Subnet Mask . . . . 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . 10.0.2.2
And it looks like it's partially working, but not quite there yet.

If I ping www.google.com it resolves to the correct IP address (142.251.133.68) but I get

Request timed out.
Ping to my local devices produce the same result.

What am I missing?
cricket

Post by cricket »

It's not a system thing because I just booted DSL from CD and it shows the same behavior.
It resolves to the correct IP but a ping results in 100% packet loss.

Automatic configuration is this:

Address: 10.0.2.15
Broadcast: 10.0.2.255
Mask: 255.255.255.0
FWIW on PCem menu the only Network type I have available is SLiRP. I use a physical connection (ETH, no WiFi) and GNU/Linux.

I already tried the other available network card, RTL8029AS, and the result is the same.

I don't know what else to try. Please give me clue. :cry:
cricket

Post by cricket »

So I found out that you can't actually access your local network with SLiRP.

The whole no pinging question was also really confusing.

Apparently I had to manually configure the pcem.cfg file to set my network device according to the numbering of

ip a
thanks to this thread, but whatever number I put there, it doesn't make a difference.

Is there a way to get local networking? I would use way way more than the internet on these VMs. :|

Maybe PCAP would allow me but I've read posts saying it's not supported on GNU/Linux.

:?
tr.StEalTH

Post by tr.StEalTH »

Networking is over rated in my book on pcem. Plus I've seen others saying the pings go crazy when gaming. A few free programs out there that can read the hd.img just like a zip file. You can also make .iso to load files. You may already know that But I seen no one was helping So I put in my two cents on the subject.
cricket

Post by cricket »

Thank you. I appreciate it. It seems knowledge and documentation is scarce for this software.
I've found out more about why it doesn't work. I would need PCAP and apparently it hasn't been implemented on PCem on GNU/Linux. So it's impossible. Bye bye networking on PCem. :(
A few free programs out there that can read the hd.img just like a zip file. You can also make .iso to load files.
Yes, it seems like those are the ways.

I saw this thread about mounting .img partitions but I'm using a dynamic .vhd.
I can mount it using Virtualbox and transfer files inside a VM. I guess that would be the easiest way. Or create a fixed-sized partition.

I'll try this one too.
tr.StEalTH

Post by tr.StEalTH »

pcem keeps getting better, never know what the next update will bring! =]

I'd like to get some ipx spx going one day!
siljo1

Post by siljo1 »

cricket wrote: Thu 21 Apr, 2022 4:46 am
FWIW on PCem menu the only Network type I have available is SLiRP. I use a physical connection (ETH, no WiFi) and GNU/Linux.
Dont know about linux,but on windows you have to install https://github.com/nmap/npcap/releases]npcap and then the internet works.
I use pcem and i use VPN as source to play old multiplayer games

tr.StEalTH wrote: Fri 22 Apr, 2022 1:29 am I'd like to get some ipx spx going one day!
me too,for now i use dosbox for ipx games. Many games can be fixed and played over tcp/udp using wsock.dll ( atomic bomberman,diablo,read alert 2,....)
cricket

Post by cricket »

Dont know about linux,but on windows you have to install https://github.com/nmap/npcap/releases]npcap and then the internet works.
I use pcem and i use VPN as source to play old multiplayer games
On Linux even if you have the pcap dev libraries when you compile PCem, you don't get it enabled, only SLiRP.

I managed to get PCAP working on DOSBox-X. It wasn't that hard. It works which is great but the network doesn't work well at all, it crawls, it's painfully, painfully slow.
NiagaraMike

Post by NiagaraMike »

We were doing well using PCAP for networking and gaming. We were only using it to play Cossacks Art of War and it worked well. Since then I've upgraded my computer but kept the same drives and OS on them. Just put 'em in and it worked. Unfortunately none of my PCem VM's can obtain an IP address. Somehow the new hardware isn't playing nice. Some kind of "protection" that I don't need. Any Ideas? I5 13600KF on Gigabyte Z790 UD board with the typical other stuff. The annoying part is that I upgraded partly to let my gaming partner use my older computer so we can play the game smoother. His was an old I5 2500k.