PCem IP address when running game host on lan

Support and general discussion.
NiagaraMike

PCem IP address when running game host on lan

Post by NiagaraMike »

I've 2 computers both running PCem Win98SE machines. In SLiRP they can both access the internet and they are both on the same network segment and on ethernet. I set one machine up to host a Cossacks game and the other machine to connect as guest (client?). On Direct IP setting the guest machine doesn't connect even with windows firewall turned off. I'm using the Game host machines IP (192.168.1.136) to connect. I've tried the same with PCAP with the same results. The game uses UDP, and PCem is exempted in the firewall. Any suggestions?
Arjen42

Re: PCem IP address when running game host on lan

Post by Arjen42 »

Did you configure different mac addresses for the emPC's?
NiagaraMike

Post by NiagaraMike »

No. I think you nailed it. At first I thought it used the host computer IP as I was unaware that one NIC could have two IP addresses. I did notice that both the VM's had the same address (PCAP) but shrugged it off. I did a fair amount of research today while babysitting my grandchild and have came up with two options. I'm going to test with the game server VM using PCAP and the game client using SLiRP. I feel that's my best bet.

Also will test changing the Mac Address by editing the NE2000.c file. I've searched high and low on how to change the MAC address could find very little.
maclocal[0] = 0xac;
maclocal[1] = 0xde;
maclocal[2] = 0x48;
maclocal[3] = 0x88;
maclocal[4] = 0xbb;
maclocal[5] = 0xaa;
pclog("ne2000: Using default MAC address (AC:DE:48:88:BB:AA)\n");
Hopefully just changing one of the variables such as maclocal(1) from 0xde to 0xdc , for example, and edit the pclog accordingly will work. I'm not up on MAC addresses but as long as it's Hexadecimal, I'm ok with it. :)

Hopefully dynamically compiling means what I think it means.

It's been decades since I've messed with C
Thank you for the reply!
Regards.
siljo1

Post by siljo1 »

Just add

Code: Select all

macaddr = 00:00:00:87:1b:aa
at the top of your config file for first vm and use

Code: Select all

macaddr = 00:00:00:87:1b:bb
for second.
Do not touch the NE2000.c file.
Use PCAP on both vm`s if you want to play games on LAN or VPN
NiagaraMike

Post by NiagaraMike »

Awesome! Thanks for that advice. Worked like a charm after I realized that I had 2 instances of PCem running on one of the computers. Doh.
Arjen42

Post by Arjen42 »

You're welcome.

Most vm software automatically generate random mac addresses to avoid conflicts. PCem is typically used with one emPC active at the time. So automatic unique mac addresses and changing mac address from the gui are not really a priority.