Windows XP no sound

Support and general discussion.
Techguy1

Windows XP no sound

Post by Techguy1 »

Hi guys
I'm new to PCem. Wanted to do what I did as a child, playing Lego games on our Windows XP machine. Followed this guide: https://tasvideos.org/EmulatorResources ... igurations, and it seemed to work. However, I cant get any sound. I've tried different things. Different Sound driver when configured the VM, Installed XP Home Edition SP2 instead of SP3 and tried unplug my HDMI monitor. Nothing of the above works. Any ideas? My config: https://pastebin.com/EZaA2L36. My host is Windows 11, i5 9300H.
eddman

Re: Windows XP no sound

Post by eddman »

Which lego games, exactly?

If these were released after XP came out and are compatible with it, you should be able to make them work on windows 11 itself with minimal tweaking, without using PCem.

If they are pre-XP games, use Windows 98 SE instead.

There is no need to use an AWE32; that card's EMU8000 emulation is incomplete anyway. Select the Sound Blaster 16.
Last edited by eddman on Sat 18 Mar, 2023 6:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
MagikGimp

Post by MagikGimp »

Series:Lego
From PCGamingWiki, the wiki about fixing PC games

https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Series:Lego
Techguy1

Post by Techguy1 »

eddman wrote: Sat 18 Mar, 2023 11:37 am Which lego games, exactly?

If these were released after XP came out and are compatible with it, you should be able to make them work on windows 11 itself with minimal tweaking, without using PCem.

If they are pre-XP games, use Windows 98 SE instead.

There is no need to use an AWE32; that card's EMU8000 emulation is incomplete anyway. Select the Sound Blaster 16.
Both games that came out around the XP era, but also before. I am from 1995, so that might give you an idea. Tried that soundcard too, still no sound. Configured a Win2000 instead. Same issue, same soundcard. Might just tweak the games to Win11. Just wanted the optimal feeling of the games. And nostalgic too.
eddman

Post by eddman »

Techguy1 wrote: Sat 18 Mar, 2023 7:19 pm Both games that came out around the XP era, but also before. I am from 1995, so that might give you an idea. Tried that soundcard too, still no sound. Configured a Win2000 instead. Same issue, same soundcard. Might just tweak the games to Win11. Just wanted the optimal feeling of the games. And nostalgic too.
Which both games? There are about a dozen lego games. You have to give the exact names of the games, else not much help can be rendered.

If they are old enough to be compatible with 98, you can use PCem. However, I specifically mentioned to use windows 98 on PCem, not 2000.

Windows 2000 has similar compatibility issues as XP.
Techguy1

Post by Techguy1 »

eddman wrote: Sat 18 Mar, 2023 7:28 pm
Techguy1 wrote: Sat 18 Mar, 2023 7:19 pm Both games that came out around the XP era, but also before. I am from 1995, so that might give you an idea. Tried that soundcard too, still no sound. Configured a Win2000 instead. Same issue, same soundcard. Might just tweak the games to Win11. Just wanted the optimal feeling of the games. And nostalgic too.
Which both games? There are about a dozen lego games. You have to give the exact names of the games, else not much help can be rendered.

If they are old enough to be compatible with 98, you can use PCem. However, I specifically mentioned to use windows 98 on PCem, not 2000.

Windows 2000 has similar compatibility issues as XP.
I've just pointed out that I installed a Win 2000 :) So PCem is primarily for pre 2000 OS? Could you elaborate the compatibility issues with 2000 and XP? Kind of curious :) Btw got sound to work on my Win2000
eddman

Post by eddman »

Your post didn't make it clear that windows itself didn't have working audio. I thought only the games were lacking audio.

No, PCem works mostly ok with windows 2000 and XP, however for games released in 2001 and earlier, there's no point in using anything above 98 SE. Windows 2000 and XP are NT based, and in case of XP, also come with higher versions of DirectX out-of-the-box. Certain 9x compatible games have issues with them.

Also 2000 and XP are more demanding and the overall experience isn't as smooth as 9x with the type of hardware that PCem emulates.

If the games are 2002 and newer, there's no point in using PCem.

So what was the issue with sound? Wrong drivers?

You still haven't mentioned which exact games.
Last edited by eddman on Sat 18 Mar, 2023 11:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Techguy1

Post by Techguy1 »

eddman wrote: Sat 18 Mar, 2023 8:21 pm Your post didn't make it clear that windows itself didn't have working audio. I thought only the games were lacking audio.

No, PCem works mostly ok with windows 2000 and XP, however for games released in 2001 and earlier, there's no point in using anything above 98 SE. Windows 2000 and XP are NT based, and come with higher versions of DirectX out-of-the-box. Certain 9x era games have issues with them.

If the games are 2002 and newer, there's no point in using PCem.

Also 2000 and XP are more demanding and the overall experience isn't as smooth as 9x with the type of hardware that PCem emulates.

So what was the issue with sound? Wrong drivers?

You still haven't mentioned which exact games.
Sorry for being unclear. And I mean Lego games from XP era and before. Have to look that up more closely to what games, and whether PCem pays off (According to for example pcgamingwiki). And yes, it was just a wrong driver. So basically, if your games run on 2000 and above, you might as well try on your host?
eddman

Post by eddman »

The highest end hardware that PCem emulates are Pentium 2 and Voodoo3, so 2002 and newer games won't have good performance, some will have graphical issues, and some will not work at all. I do not recommend it. (Many 2000-2001 games would also struggle on a P2 though)

The majority of games that were developed with XP compatibly, either work just fine on modern windows, or just need a wrapper like dgvoodoo2. There are some that need specific community made patches to work, but usually nothing complicated.

P.S.

Forget about windows 2000 compatibility. No game dev specifically targeted that OS. They jumped from 98 to XP.
Chuck.finley20780

Post by Chuck.finley20780 »

Smh... I know this is an old thread, but... you were not helpful at all. The issue the OP was having was that winxp wasn't detecting an audio device. I'm having the same issue now, and reading the responses given to the OP frustrated me so much that I created an account to make this comment. Hahaha! I can sense the ego in every response you gave the OP. So, I'll word the OP's question better. Is there a solution to WinXP not detecting a sound device in PCem?
Chuck.finley20780

Post by Chuck.finley20780 »

Just an update for anyone who has this issue in the future. If you just got XP working in PCem for the first time, you have no sound options, and XP tells you no audio device is detected, you need to acquire the actual install.exe for whatever soundcard you chose for XP and you have to install it in XP. This will fix your problem.
Arjen42

Post by Arjen42 »

Drivers for Sound Blaster 16, AWE32, 128 PCI, and others are included with Windows XP. However older ISA cards like the 16 and AWE32 may not be detected automatically, so you have to run the Add Hardware wizard manually. For Windows XP the PCI 128 is more appropriate.
tk421

Post by tk421 »

I got sound working in XP without 3rd party drivers. XP comes with the drivers for those old sound cards. XP even comes with the Voodoo 3 drivers. Whether games will work in XP with such old emulated hardware, that is a different matter.

Win 2000 is definitely not the first choice for games, but some games do work great in Win 2000. Star Wars Rebellion comes to mind. With Win2k, the system requirements are lower than XP but you still get the system stability that XP affords to this particular Lucasarts game. Rebellion never worked well with Win95/98 for some reason, even on real hardware. Win 2000 provides an excellent alternative for this game.

I hope this helps,

tk421