Win98 in PCem

Support and general discussion.
titaniumtux

Win98 in PCem

Post by titaniumtux »

Hey I'm running PCem on Manjaro Linux (installed in the AUR). Managed to install Win98SE using OEM install disc following a tutorial on YouTube. I've used Linux and VirtualBox for several years but am new to PCem. I believe I have installed all the drivers. Was tricky because files with longer names got their names shortened when packaging them into an ISO file in order to get them into Win98 via CD-ROM drive. I have Voodoo 3k fully setup. I was even able to source Autopatcher to get Win98SE to run all the official/unofficial updates. I was able to play DOS games on WIn98SE, but no "windows games", even Windows games that are older than Win98! I get the error message saying that I need a newer version of Windows.

The question is...will I get better compatibility with "windows games" from the 90s in WinXP? Is there anything I'm missing to be able to run Windows games from the 90s on Win98? Please help!
Arjen42

Re: Win98 in PCem

Post by Arjen42 »

What Windows games are you trying to run?
leilei

Post by leilei »

I'm assuming these refusing 90s games are modern source ports compiled on later VisualC 201X's and GCCs after 4 or GoG releases with additional support DLLs to smoothen the modern windows compatiblity experience.

There was no XP in the 90s so that shouldn't be necessary. I think the only company that cared to have games running on any NT-based OS in that decade was id software.

Also i'd avoid all unofficial Win98se patches. They're nothing but problems
titaniumtux

Post by titaniumtux »

Managed to play Corridor 7 but that's a DOS game and runs fine in DOSBox. MS 3D Movie Maker didn't work. I also tried Nathan Eveil, Lapin Malin and Atomic Betty and none of those worked.

I did successfully install the last supported versions of 7zip and Opera browser, though. If I were to set this up from scratch again, is there a good source for getting all the drivers on an ISO disc image along with all the "official" Win98SE patches?