Cat amongst the pigeons

Support and general discussion.
Greywolf

Cat amongst the pigeons

Post by Greywolf »

Don’t know if this has ever been asked but would a one button function to test the emulated system to the host system so you would know your build will work?
Curious as I’m struggling setting up a system that stays at 100%
leilei

Re: Cat amongst the pigeons

Post by leilei »

It's all trial and error and drops when:

- there's too many blocks to recompile, which can happen with video decoding more often, and self-modifying code
- too much frames rendered to keep up, which can occur with Voodoo cards not being vsynced on slower processors
- I/O access can also be a factor, it's heavily involved with the windows 9x boot process but is worst at reading host optical drives. A fragmented HDD holding the image you've mounted can drop the percent especially when it's a dynamic/difference VHD, and/or if you're using swapfiles in the guest
Greywolf

Post by Greywolf »

I have a dell inspiron 15r m5010 64 bit win 7 with , AMD 2 core Turion II P520, 2.3ghz, 4 gb ddr3 ram and a 1gb amd Radeon HD 550v.
I have the lowest possible build on the gigabyte motherboard with win 98 with the suitable drivers but struggle with the more demanding games from my collection.
And I’m struggling to setup a win 95 system with an era appropriate system build can’t get win 95 installed. I get all the way to the fdisk stage then it goes all wrong on reboot and unable to format c: and unable to see virtual CD-ROM or install from one it does see.
unreal9010

Post by unreal9010 »

Turion II P520 is not suitable for emulation of the Gigabyte motherboard-based configurations since it's waaay too slow. I wouldn't go above 486 with this system.
Arjen42

Post by Arjen42 »

Windows 95 with or without FAT32 support? If it is the Windows 95 without FAT32 you can only format partitions up to 2 GB. Which would be enough to get things running. You can add more disks or more emulated PC's later.
Greywolf

Post by Greywolf »

I’ve been trying to maximise emulated stability and finally got win95 up and running on a pentium 100mhz but the result is worse than the win98 build with pentium 2 233mhz and voodoo card
Win95 goes down to about 45% in idle and win98 goes down to 70% when in use gaming.
I thought if I got close enough to a native build the game would run smoother but it can’t even cope with windows itself.
Figuring this shit out after 30+ years being out of the loop is no joke.
If I had the room for a desktop I would try that but finding one is a challenge and actually pricey for a machine that could die as soon as you boot it up.
eddman

Post by eddman »

PC emulation is quite demanding. You could try a Pentium 60 or 66 (Socket 4), or maybe a P 75.

If it still drops below 100%, you could try something like Dosbox-X, although installing windows in that is not as straightforward. You could also try a virtualizor like VMware or Virtualbox.
Greywolf

Post by Greywolf »

I’ve used dos box before for some of the transitional dos/95 games but got fed up with setting up config files with all the settings for each game. Did get to enjoy a few games.
I’m eyeballing my wife’s old vista laptop seeing as she has a new MacBook and once it’s completely available intend to install win xp 32 bit on it as its a 32 bit machine but the other day spent all day trying to install win Xp with a spare hdd but couldn’t get anything to work and had to put the old hdd back in lol I don’t want to try to connect to the internet with as I read xp was prone to getting bot hacked for crypto mining.