Pc parts info

Support and general discussion.
Greywolf

Pc parts info

Post by Greywolf »

Would anyone be able to help I’ve got 2 new desktops and I’m looking for floppy drives and brackets. I’ve googled the shit out of them but can’t figure out what’s compatible to narrow down my search results.

Pc 1.) dell dimension 3100c pentium 4ht 2.8ghz

Pc 2.) dell dimension 3000 pentium 4 3ghz
Arjen42

Re: Pc parts info

Post by Arjen42 »

This isn't the right forum to talk about (vintage) hardware. It might be more appropriate at the Vogons forum.

The most easy way to copy data and/or install games from floppy is to get an USB floppy drive. I'm not sure if booting from an USB floppy drive is supported, but Windows 98 SE and Windows XP installation cd-roms are usable bootable so you don't need a floppy drive for that.

Next thing is a floppy drive emulator. A device that replaces the floppy drive and uses the same internal cables. Instead of a floppy you insert a USB drive or memory card which contains floppy disk images. (The same kind we use for PCem.) You might still need brackets, I suppose.
Greywolf

Re: Pc parts info

Post by Greywolf »

I’ve seen information on usb floppy drives but I think it was mentioned it would be difficult to boot from but works fine if the system is already setup.
I’ll have to check my sources for a bootable cd and if I got any cds to burn to
And join Vogons lol