Alien Carnage configuration menu not responding!

Support and general discussion.
vintagegameQT

Alien Carnage configuration menu not responding!

Post by vintagegameQT »

Hi, when I go to the configuration menu to set the sound and joystick the arrow keys do not work the only key that works is ESC that takes me back to the game menu, it happens with both the floppy version and the shareware version I downloaded from the publisher's website. I have 633kb of free conventional memory so the game needs to work properly as it states I need 570kb of free conventional memory to play the game with sound and music.
vintagegameQT

Re: Alien Carnage configuration menu not responding!

Post by vintagegameQT »

solved! this is one of those cases the developers messed with players! you expect it to function like other games but it doesn't, you need to press the highlighted keys to configure the game, so for Sound Blaster you press S, for Music you press M, for Calibrate Joystick you press C etc. they could've just let us use arrow keys to select different options and there is no hint on that screen that tells you what you need to do.
leilei

Re: Alien Carnage configuration menu not responding!

Post by leilei »

I doubt it's 'developers messing with players' but more developers not bothering with a menu selection routine for configuration. Some games did that (especially in the 286 era), it's only a step beyond Y/N questions about wanting music or sound from the amiga days