SHIFT keys don't work properly

Support and general discussion.
Katakis

SHIFT keys don't work properly

Post by Katakis »

Hi,
I have just discovered this wonderful program and I am always looking forward to the next release. I am using PCem v9 under Parallels Desktop (I own a Mac, and there still isn't an OS X version of this emulator). I have set up a machine which imitates my first 486, that had MS-DOS 5 and Windows 3.1 on it, and I just realized that both SHIFT keys don't work the first time you try them, so if you enter a colon if you want to change drives, the output on the screen is: c;::::::::::::; and it doesn't matter what configuration I am using. Does anyone else have this problem? Would this by solved if I went back to a previous version?
ender

Re: SHIFT keys don't work properly

Post by ender »

I never noticed any problems. This might be because you're running PCem inside Parallels.
Katakis

Post by Katakis »

ender wrote:I never noticed any problems. This might be because you're running PCem inside Parallels.
I forgot to mention that the SHIFT keys work normally outside PCem. It's only PCem that's affected.
Battler

Post by Battler »

- Katakis: The reason is simple. Slowdown due to Parallells which means PCem itself is being run under virtualization, and then of course PCem itself also being slow, and it all together results in repeating keys.
Katakis

Post by Katakis »

Battler wrote:- Katakis: The reason is simple. Slowdown due to Parallells which means PCem itself is being run under virtualization, and then of course PCem itself also being slow, and it all together results in repeating keys.
Repeating keys? No, I mean if I try to change to the B: drive for example, I would get b; instead of b: when I try to enter a colon the first time. It only displays the semi-colon only once.
Battler

Post by Battler »

- Katakis: That is caused by slowdown too. If it runs slowly enough, it will occasionally just not respond to some keys. It's an even bigger problem for me because I type very fast and in PCem in some circumstances, I need to slow down otherwise it fails to pick up some of the keys or some of the keys get picked up in the wrong order.
Katakis

Post by Katakis »

Battler wrote:- Katakis: That is caused by slowdown too. If it runs slowly enough, it will occasionally just not respond to some keys. It's an even bigger problem for me because I type very fast and in PCem in some circumstances, I need to slow down otherwise it fails to pick up some of the keys or some of the keys get picked up in the wrong order.
OK. Thanks for the advice. If only there was an OS X version of PCem...
Battler

Post by Battler »

Doesn't Wine exist for OS X? If yes, get it and try running PCem under it.

Edit: It does: http://wiki.winehq.org/MacOSX .
startmenu

Post by startmenu »

Battler wrote:Doesn't Wine exist for OS X? If yes, get it and try running PCem under it.

PCem works fine under wine as I tried on Linux.
Katakis

Post by Katakis »

startmenu wrote:
Battler wrote:Doesn't Wine exist for OS X? If yes, get it and try running PCem under it.

PCem works fine under wine as I tried on Linux.
I use Wineskin which is basically Wine for OS X, and I am having no such luck so far. No matter what engine I use, the emulator crashes right away before I can get anywhere with it. The logs indicate that it is a "page fault". I have heard of other programs such as PlayOnAMac, so I might use that and see how I can go.