v13 - Mouse Issues

Support and general discussion.
Katakis

v13 - Mouse Issues

Post by Katakis »

In v13, mouse support seems to be broken. When I used the previous stable release, the mouse supports worked perfectly fine under both MS-DOS and Windows 95, when using the "Microsoft 2-button mouse (serial)" option. But in v13, Windows 95 does not detect the mouse at all, and the mouse works in MS-DOS but the cursor is slow and erratic. When I used the other mouse options in '95, the mouse cursor behaves the same way as it does in MS-DOS.
leilei

Re: v13 - Mouse Issues

Post by leilei »

Ensure you're still using the proper mouse device in the config, since the addition of the Mouse Systems 3-button mouse can bump this.

In addition, using Vsync with the OpenGL backends will cause mouse delays.
Katakis

Post by Katakis »

The PS/2 option seems to work (mouse = 2), but the problems with the cursor is still there, no matter what Render options I tried (OpenGL, Direct3D, and Software are available, OpenGL 3.0 is not.) I don't use VSync at all.

I have a config attached if it helps.
Attachments
430VX_test.cfg
(1.31 KiB) Downloaded 361 times
Katakis

Post by Katakis »

I just found out that it was a problem with Wine, not PCem. Changing Wine's screen mode to X11 instead of Mac Driver makes the mouse go fast, but it tends to jump to a random position as I move it. Also, I notice that the host mouse cursor appears out of nowhere even if I pressed CTRL-END to release the mouse.

I can only assume that some code was added between v12 and v13, in which Wine does not like.
gen_angry

Post by gen_angry »

Katakis wrote:I just found out that it was a problem with Wine, not PCem. Changing Wine's screen mode to X11 instead of Mac Driver makes the mouse go fast, but it tends to jump to a random position as I move it. Also, I notice that the host mouse cursor appears out of nowhere even if I pressed CTRL-END to release the mouse.

I can only assume that some code was added between v12 and v13, in which Wine does not like.
There should be a linux binary, why bother with Wine in the first place?
szadycbr

Post by szadycbr »

Linux binary would be nice, but unfortunately linux that is not windows, and for example binary compiled on q4os (stretch) wont work on antiX 17 (also Stretch) and so on, the versions of libraries vary a bit in every version of Linux. 64bit windows will run 32bit binary, but it is not straight forward case in Linux.
It could be done, but it will require a bit of work to normalize all libraries and include them in binary, and yet those libraries have dependencies on other libraries and wont work without right version. So , blahh, not easy at all, and that is the reason why programs for linux are usually compiled for specific version of Linux.
Like i said , it could be done but it will require to change a loot in the way a program is compiled. the easyest way it could be done by making separate package for few most popular versions of linux, ex. binary for Debian, Suse and Mint , and thats it , really, and still it will be only for single version of them, so user of debian 9 will require different version than user of debian 8. to make it usable in every linux version, like i said , would be way to much trouble. Hope i m right in my explanation, only using linux for 6 months or so. :)
darksabre76

Post by darksabre76 »

I... think you misunderstood gen_angry. You can download the Linux source files for the most recent release and build it yourself on your machine using the standard ./configure && make && make install chain. You just need the right development libraries (SDL2, wxWidgets, probably some other stuff I'm forgetting), and you should be golden.

So yeah, you might want to just compile your own version for your flavor of Linux and not bother with Wine.
Katakis

Post by Katakis »

gen_angry wrote:There should be a linux binary, why bother with Wine in the first place?
Because I am using OS X, not Linux. Wine for OS X is called Wineskin, and it has a GUI built-in to it, and it only allows you to make use of .exe or .msi files, not native Linux applications.

As far as I know, there are a few Linux users on this forum, and I am the only OS X user. Which is why nobody is interested in porting PCem over to the Mac.
szadycbr

Post by szadycbr »

Ahh, so there is no Mac version? hmm, thats explains the problem. how difficult would be to port the code for OS X? You even mention that in Your post, but the first i read was the one after that.
SarahWalker
Site Admin

Post by SarahWalker »

You can build for OS X the same as for Linux -. /configure then make. The required libraries are available in brew. I haven't put out a Mac binary because the Mac version isn't quite at parity with the Windows & Linux versions - in particular there's no Cd support.
TonyM

Post by TonyM »

I am an avid Mac user and would love to attempt to build a binary for OS X. I'll download the Linux source and try it (I can live without CD support)

@SarahWalker can you give us a list of the libraries we need to install in Homebrew and maybe general instructions on how to install them? I've only used HB once with guided instructions so I'm by no means proficient with it. I'll play with it over the holidays and see if I can get it going on my MB Pro.
Chilly Willy

Post by Chilly Willy »

Katakis wrote:...and I am the only OS X user. Which is why nobody is interested in porting PCem over to the Mac.
I use OS X too but I also have access to Windows. So it hasn't bothered me much.
TonyM

Post by TonyM »

Success! I have PCem running natively on my Mac on OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan. I installed wxWidgits and SDL2 using Homebrew and was able to compile the Linux source using gcc. I moved my configs, nvr, roms and disk image directories over from my Windows PC and they mostly worked. The only thing I had to do was edit each machine's config since the menu items seem to be in a different order so some of the settings were off. All of the hardware devices I've tried (video, sound, IDE, SCSI and mouse) seem to work just fine. I haven't installed PCAP yet so I don't know about Ethernet. CD-ROM images work as well but I don't have a CD drive in this Mac so I can't test physical CDs, although SarahWalker says it isn't supported so I'm not fussed about it.

All in all, a pretty good day!
Katakis

Post by Katakis »

Chilly Willy wrote:I use OS X too but I also have access to Windows. So it hasn't bothered me much.
OS X* is my primary OS I use, and I normally run Windows programs through Wine. If Wine isn't able to take the heat, then I use VMWare Fusion to run them natively.

To get back on topic:
I ran PCem v12 and previous versions through Wine and had no real problems with it. But then v13 inserted code that caused Wine to break the guest PS/2 mouse support. The only way to get around this for me is to run v13 on Windows through Fusion.

(* - OS X is called MacOS now, to make it consistent with the naming scheme that Apple uses for its other 2 OSes. I still call it OS X because that is the name I am familiar with.)