PCemv14 Linux. ISO isn't mounted. MSCDEX cannot be installed.

Support and general discussion.
RetroAF

PCemv14 Linux. ISO isn't mounted. MSCDEX cannot be installed.

Post by RetroAF »

Hello folks. I just stumbled upon this awesome looking project of yours. And I would like to use it to get The Longest Journey running under Linux. The wine support for it is still underwhelming.
I got PCem v14 to work but I cannot mount my Win95.ISO. In the menu, the drive I select as CD-drive becomes grey and I cannot point to my ISO. I can specify the path in the cfg-file to the installationsprofile but inside the emulation I cannot access it. If I boot from a Windows floppy Image, it is impossible to install CD-drivers like MSCDEX.EXE.
I tried to follow this video to the letter for a first effort.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNRSzPRN7Dg
I am pretty new to Linux. I'll try to show as exactly as possible how I installed PCem.
I use Xubuntu 18.04 bionic beaver.
1. Download and unpack the Linux files.
Then:

Code: Select all

Ctrl+Alt+T

sudo apt install libsdl2-dev
Tutorial I followed.

sudo apt-key adv --fetch-keys http://repos.codelite.org/CodeLite.asc

sudo apt-add-repository 'deb http://repos.codelite.org/wx3.1.1/ubuntu/ bionic universe'

sudo apt update
Tutorial I followed.

The tutorial now branched in a way for GTK+2 and GTK+3, I just picked GTK+2. The tutorial stated, that only the first 6 were mandatory. I installed them all nonetheless.

apt-get install libwxbase3.1-0-unofficial \
                 libwxbase3.1-dev \
                 libwxgtk3.1-0-unofficial \
                 libwxgtk3.1-dev \
                 wx3.1-headers \
                 wx-common \
                 libwxgtk-webview3.1-0-unofficial \
                 libwxgtk-webview3.1-dev \
                 libwxgtk-media3.1-0-unofficial \
                 libwxgtk-media3.1-dev \
                 libwxbase3.1-0-unofficial-dbg \
                 libwxgtk3.1-0-unofficial-dbg \
                 libwxgtk-webview3.1-0-unofficial-dbg \
                 libwxgtk-media3.1-0-unofficial-dbg \
                 wx3.1-i18n \
                 wx3.1-examples

sudo apt install libalut-dev
Then:
1. Go to unpack directory.

cd Downloads/PCemV14Linux/
2a.Compile

sudo ./configure --enable-release-build
2b. Make

sudo make

3. Copy the roms. I did that in the GUI, not in the command line. I now looks like this:

~/.pcem/roms/win486/ali1429g.amw
~/.pcem/roms/et4000.bin
4. In the command line I ran this, still from the unpack directory

./pcem
5. Follow the instructions of the video. But PCem seems to have no emulated CD-drive.

Hopefully you can help me.

I also tried to compile with other arguments in variing combinations. They run but without working CD-emulation.

sudo ./configure --enable-release-build --enable-debug --enable-alsa 
szadycbr

Re: PCemv14 Linux. ISO isn't mounted. MSCDEX cannot be installed.

Post by szadycbr »

Hi RetroAF , the cd-rom is always greyed out in the main menu and you can not choose iso there, instead run PCem and then do right click on PCem window, from drop dawn menu choose CD-ROM and load image, the mscdex will install the CD no problems (but bios will not show the cd detected on ami winbios). You compiled copy is working fine, You just have to fiddle a bit with settings.
RetroAF

Post by RetroAF »

It seems to be more difficult. In the video, at 14:25, when he selects the ISO the PCem prompts that this action will reset PCem. I don't get this prompt. If I proceed, the images of a floppy and the ISO loaded it goes like this. The PCem boots from floppy mounted to a:. Thr floppy menu asks me to pick a CD driver. I choose NEC. It returns the message:"DRIVE C: = Driver MSCD001 unit 0" So the ISO is under c:.
My hard disks isn't shown, although BIOS detecs it, just like in the video. I tried several drive letters but none worked. If I change to c: and run setup.exe I get an error messages that no temporary directory could've been created.
szadycbr

Post by szadycbr »

RetroAF , You are almost there. DOS cant see the hard disk drive , cos you created empty file, there is no partition yet. when boot floppy boots into command line, run "fdisk" and create partition, then reset, after reset You must format the drive also cos if You make partition You can select the drive in DOS, (it will be detected) but there is no file system so you still can not write anything on it. In his video win95 setup did create partition itself, (when he chose Large Disk Support) i dont really know why Your copy dont do that, but i always do this manually beforehand, so that screen never appeared :)

"when he selects the ISO the PCem prompts that this action will reset PCem. I don't get this prompt" PCem does not prompt to reset if you are changing a CD rom/disk, the guy in the video did run PCem without CD rom drive assigned/installed , cos you can see his cd rom says "Disabled" and by choosing iso he did enable cd drive, thus changing PC hardware, so it had to reset, if you did set CD drive at main menu then you have already assigned/installed CD drive and by choosing iso You only inserting the CD disk into CD Drive. :)

And i downloaded the floppy provided in links from video and it is different floppy than yours, cos you get boot floppy from winworld for win95 osr2. if You will get the floppy from link on video it will assign cd rom to letter X and automatically run setup from CD if inserted cos it is win95 setup disk, not just boot floppy, but no worries, it is better that you have the "normal" boot disk , so you can learn a bit of DOS :)
RetroAF

Post by RetroAF »

Many thanks, that did the trick. I thought I could skip the format command because setup would do it. That is not the case, the setup crashes with an error message that windows setup needs way more hard disk space than available. But after using fdisk and format c: properly the setup ran and finished nicely.
Capitally big THANKS again.
szadycbr

Post by szadycbr »

You are welcome :)