PCem v14 not honoring default audio device in Windows 10

Support and general discussion.
Stettin

PCem v14 not honoring default audio device in Windows 10

Post by Stettin »

I was banging my head against the wall trying to get sound working for my wife's copy of Master of Magic. Eventually I thought I heard some phantom sounds coming out, but I cranked everything up all the way and could barely hear anything. I finally discovered the machine info page and confirmed that in fact PCem was processing sound through the Sound Blaster Pro v2. I finally figured out that the sounds were coming from my headphones! I swap between headphones and speaker output all the time with regular games and apps in Windows 10 by changing my "Set as Default Device" options in "Sound". For some reason PCem is not honoring what the default device is and instead is selecting my headphones as default. I think probably because they are listed first. If I "disable" the headphone, the sound does come out of the speakers.

I think this might be a very minor bug. I don't expect it to be fixed, but maybe a an install note or FAQ entry would be in order :)

Host:
i7-6700K 4GHz
16 GB DDR4
Windows 10 64-bit
ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming LGA 1151 MB
HD: Samsung 1.5TB 7200RPM (for guest disks)
MB Sound: Realtek
Headphone Sound: Kingston HyperX Cloud II (USB audio adapter)

Guest:
[Socket 7] Award 430VX PCI
Intel Pentium MMX 233
64MB RAM
ATI Graphics Pro Turbo (Mach64 GX)
Sound Blaster Pro v2
Dos 6.22

I have no idea if the dynamic recompiler is being used. Where can I check?
JosepMa

Re: PCem v14 not honoring default audio device in Windows 10

Post by JosepMa »

PCEm does honor the default device, but only at startup time. Currently it does not react to changing the default output.
I haven't looked into this, but I am assuming that it's because of the kind of audio API that it uses.

I might have a look someday how easy or complicate it would be to use portaudio, and use either WDM-KS or WASAPI on Windows. That should even allow for a shorter latency ( 20 ms works in most setups, and 5ms is stable with some hardware. Current PCEm default is 100ms and minimun is 50).
Stettin

Re: PCem v14 not honoring default audio device in Windows 10

Post by Stettin »

Thanks for the solution, worked for me!