Using vintage email clients

Support and general discussion.
Neelix

Using vintage email clients

Post by Neelix »

Hi,

I would connect outlook express 4 under Windows 95 and WFW 3.11 to my old hotmail account. I get the error 0x800CCC1A.

I tried it with my gmx and gmail accounts, but nothing to do.

Could someone help me find a way to synchronize my mails with vintage email clients, please ?
UPerschke

Re: Using vintage email clients

Post by UPerschke »

Those will likely never get a connection nowadays due to lack of TLSv1.2 support.
TLSv.1.0, SSLv3.0 and older are outdated and usually no longer available.

Most providers have also removed abilities for unencrypted connections alltogether.

You can try to change your POP3/IMAP/SMTP settings to SSL/TLS, but if that doesn't help your client is a deadend, at least with a direct connection.
https://www.janaserver.de/start.php?lang=en could be a way out.

Edit1: Typo fixed.
Edit2: Added Jana as suggestion.
Neelix

Post by Neelix »

Thank you for the response. I tried Jana on Windows 98, it doesn't work. The JanaServer needs at least Windows 2000.
UPerschke

Post by UPerschke »

Indeed. You'll never solve this problem within Win9x, no matter how you turn it.
You need some intermediate system with TLSv1.2 which acts as an IMAP or SMTP/POP3 proxy/relay and/or cache, regardless if it's WinXP, *nix or something else.

Data flow would roughly look like this: E-mail provider <---IMAP or SMTP/POP3 w. TLSv1.2--->Intermediate system<---Unencrypted IMAP or SMTP/POP3--->Win9x in PCem.

No solution for this is trivial I'm sure. Aside Jana I can think of other setups: *nix and Postmail/Sendfix, maybe Nextcloud, maybe SOGo, (or other, similar Groupware), WinGate Standard (only POP3 Proxy, and only one target server).

I think you get the idea, but afaik this hasn't been done for Win9x so it's more or less new territory even for advanced users and pros.
abk4523

Post by abk4523 »

You can download Windows 2000 from Winworldpc.com if it helps. Do you have to have Win9x or are you challenging yourself?