Game Won't Go Higher Than 640x480

Support and general discussion.
MysteryGoat

Game Won't Go Higher Than 640x480

Post by MysteryGoat »

Hi, new here and love this emulator. This is the first emulator/VM that I've been able to run some old favorite games of mine on. It's very exciting and very appreciated.

So I'm running Beast Wars Transformers. (Yes, I know the game is trash but I'm a huge Transformers fan and when I was a kid I thought this game was the coolest thing ever) This the first it's worked since running windows 2000, I think. Back in the day I had a Gateway computer. Can't remember a damn spec on the thing though other than it had a Pentium 2.

So anyway the game works fine in PCem but I can't get the resolution higher than 640x480. I've changed the machine spec on here multiple times to see if it would have any affect and it doesn't.

But right now I'm running:
Shuttle Hot-557
Pentium MMX 166
128mb ram
S3 ViRGE/DX at 4MB with both Bilinear Filtering and Dithering checked
Speed at Fast VLB/PCI
VooDoo 2 running both Framebuffer and Texture at 4MB, Bilinear filtering checked, 2 Render threads and Recompiler checked.
And I'm running Win 98SE

The desktop is running fine at 800x600. In display properties under 3dfx the slider goes up to 800x600 (although that was only after I installed a ton of updates for windows. I used the Win98SE auto-patcher to do it). But yeah for the life of me I can't get the game to run at 800x600. I've tried other display adapters and different combos of things. I wondered if it had to do with the video ram but I don't see anything going above 4MB. Again I have no idea what my old computer had. Plus it was on board video, never had a video card until I built my first computer.

If someone could help me figure this out it would be much appreciated. Again, thanks to the devs for making this emulator. It's fun being to go back to some games I haven't been able to play in nearly two decades.
Cheez

Re: Game Won't Go Higher Than 640x480

Post by Cheez »

Does the game even support that resolution? I don't know anything about it but you haven't said anything about attemping to change the resolution in the game itself. Nothing online seems to indicate that it even does another resolution.
leilei

Post by leilei »

The resolution slider in the V2 panel is intended to pick a resolution to change the refresh rate for. It doesn't affect game resolution choices.

Beast Wars only supports 512x384 and 640x480 for Glide/D3D. It's functioning as designed for a typical Playstation port of the era still growing from early 3d support pains (and 3d hardware competent enough to go beyond 640x480 weren't yet commonplace)
MysteryGoat

Post by MysteryGoat »

I mean maybe I'm just crazy but I remember being able to choose 800x600 when I played it on my old Gateway computer back in 98. That was the native resolution of my monitor at the time and there had been a couple if instances when either I had to reinstall drivers or something would mess up that it went lower and it was a noticeable difference.

I have tried to change it. There's a launcher where you can choose graphics settings. 800x600 isn't even listed right now. I also read a review article a while back when I was getting the itch to play, stating that despite the game being poorly designed the PC version did have a leg up on the PS1 version. Whether that meant resolution or something else I don't know.
omarsis81

Post by omarsis81 »

MysteryGoat

Post by MysteryGoat »

Alright well I guess I should just be happy it works. Thanks.