Can someone give me a primer on PCEM network?

Support and general discussion.
keenerb

Can someone give me a primer on PCEM network?

Post by keenerb »

Forgot to give my specs. I'm running RaspberryPi OS 5/2020 (aka Debian) on an rpi 4b 2gb. Guest is the Packard Bell 386SX 300 emulated system, 1mb ram, NE2000 nic assigned to adderss 320 and IRQ 7.

I've compiled with network support, and muddled through to the point where DHCP returns a 10.2.0.X IP address, and 10.0.2.2 default gateway.

I'm able to ping that gateway.

Should I have connectivity to the host machine and my "real" network at this point? I can't ping any of the IP addresses on the other side of that defaut gateway.

Is there a bridge/NAT I need to configure?

The "netinterface" config option; it's an integer, does it correspond directly to the NIC numbering under "ip a"? On my system 1: lo, 2: eth0, 3: wlan0, so to bridge to eth0 I would select eth0?
keenerb

Re: Can someone give me a primer on PCEM network?

Post by keenerb »

Ah, never mind. Ping doesn't seem to work but "sntp pool.ntp.org" did, so something must be working properly...

dnstest also resolves IPs, so I am assuming ICMP (or just ping?) isn't making it through your networking sorcery.

This should be more than enough for me!
JosepMa

Re: Can someone give me a primer on PCEM network?

Post by JosepMa »

yes. the slirp kind of connection emulates a NAT, and that gateway is actually your host.