A design suggestion for PCEM

Support and general discussion.
Rikintosh

A design suggestion for PCEM

Post by Rikintosh »

PCEM is a machine emulator of the 90s. That means that nobody will use the 16: 9 or 16:10 aspect, only 4: 3. So why not move the renderer to the corner, and embed the "machine" window for easy access? You see, who wants to see the centralized screen, just put it in fullscreen mode. In window mode, it would be much smarter to have access to the virtual machine's controls (just like any other emulator / virtualizer does). I find it very uncomfortable to have to keep bringing the machine window forward all the time to see disk activity. Most people don't have 2 screens on their pc.

From this...

To this...

Or better! With a little more work, use bitmaps to draw a CPU on the side, which will make the machine window function. All bitmaps would be stored in a folder, so it would be easy for the user to personalize the machine.

A. Naim

Re: A design suggestion for PCEM

Post by A. Naim »

Rikintosh wrote: Sat 02 Jan, 2021 11:09 pm I find it very uncomfortable to have to keep bringing the machine window forward all the time to see disk activity.
Why do you need to see disk activity? If it is spending 10+ seconds to display the contents of a drive, that may be cause for a bug report. Otherwise, I find it strange that disk activity would take long enough to be unsure if the disk is working.
Rikintosh

Post by Rikintosh »

I like to see disk activity all the time. That is why the engineers who designed the computers put the hd led. Any virtualizer offers this.
A. Naim

Post by A. Naim »

Rikintosh wrote: Wed 06 Jan, 2021 4:12 am I like to see disk activity all the time. That is why the engineers who designed the computers put the hd led. Any virtualizer offers this.
Fair enough. :)

I don't have enough experience with emulators to say how many, as a percentage, offer that option. But I'm willing to accept an assertion that most do. :)