Extracting files from PCem OS to my PC.

Support and general discussion.
Solar1x

Extracting files from PCem OS to my PC.

Post by Solar1x »

Hey guys, I'm new to the whole emulation thing, and recently emulated a WIN95 using an old version of PCem (due to the guide being made for the v12 version instead of the updated one) and I'm having difficulties regarding a... rather specific issue.
The sole reason I installed WIN95 was to play a certain old game that it seems impossible to run on either my WIN10 laptop or WIN10 PC, so I gave up completely on trying to run it on said systems as no matter what I tried it simply wouldn't work properly, so yeah.
The game is a really old game, called Space Clash:The last frontier, anyway, long story short, I set up WIN95 using pcem v12, installed and all was fine minus the low FPS and such but I could handle that, thing got out of hand when due to too many units/buildings going around the game itself started messing up ( seeing I was getting an even lower FPS rate than I was getting initially) and I couldn't proceed due to said bugs that occured in game that literally deleted saves instead of saving, so I couldn't progress (that was the main issue, another was the game reverting back to an earlier stage, that also occured before when I tried to run the game on WIN10 but generally speaking the WIN95 version seemed to work flawlessly minus the low FPS untill the saves started getting corrupt/deleted and the like).
Seeing as I can't progress further on said WIN95 set up, I'm trying to move the files from WIN95 to my PC so I can see if there's another way of making this game work, perhaps on some other OS, or.. completley give in and try to get my hands on a physical older PC, no clue what I'll do but right now I'm having issues with getting the save files from the emulated OS to my own PC.
I followed a guide on youtube but ran into an issue, guide's: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAk_-Ae ... asTripzter
I created a blank IMG file with 100mb, managed to load it, but it says it's either full or protected, so I can't copy files into it.
Also from what I understand getting network to run on said WIN95 I have installed is a no go? cause if that's possible it'd be an easy solution, simply uploading the files online so I can download them.
Or perhaps somehow.. get rid of said low FPS? although I've read here that in order to get the same performance we'd expect from older PCs we'd need stronger current PCs to emulate that and we don't have that yet.. but in case my I5-10040F/GTX1650S can make the game work better I suppose it might solve the issue too.
I still got the v12 and the v17, for some reason it doesn't detect a mouse on the v17.. but I created a blank image file 100mb in size from there, and it doesn't seem to load it when I choose to load it through "load zip drive", so... can't find a way to at least salvage my saves so I can see how I can progress from here.
infuscomus

Re: Extracting files from PCem OS to my PC.

Post by infuscomus »

This youtuber apparently got it working on windows 10 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PpPDGdYDlw
Solar1x

Post by Solar1x »

infuscomus wrote: Tue 09 Mar, 2021 7:35 am This youtuber apparently got it working on windows 10 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PpPDGdYDlw
Yeah seems like some people managed to get it working on WIN10, but no matter what methods I try it simply won't work, already tried for over a week or so trying to get help from users who managed to get it working.
https://sourceforge.net/p/dxwnd/discuss ... #6296/cf20
Right now I'm trying to find a way to extract my saves from my emulated WIN95 so I can perhaps try some other methods..
Also regarding that vid, I already commented on it asking where'd he get it from, he doesn't seem to answer any of the comments on the vid but I managed to get my hands on an English version regardless... too bad it doesn't work on either my laptop, PC or emulated WIN95. ;/
te_lanus

Post by te_lanus »

Solar1x wrote: Tue 09 Mar, 2021 7:43 pm
infuscomus wrote: Tue 09 Mar, 2021 7:35 am This youtuber apparently got it working on windows 10 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PpPDGdYDlw
Yeah seems like some people managed to get it working on WIN10, but no matter what methods I try it simply won't work, already tried for over a week or so trying to get help from users who managed to get it working.
https://sourceforge.net/p/dxwnd/discuss ... #6296/cf20
Right now I'm trying to find a way to extract my saves from my emulated WIN95 so I can perhaps try some other methods..
Also regarding that vid, I already commented on it asking where'd he get it from, he doesn't seem to answer any of the comments on the vid but I managed to get my hands on an English version regardless... too bad it doesn't work on either my laptop, PC or emulated WIN95. ;/
Have you tried Winimage? I use it to add and extract files from virtual HDD and Floppies
leilei

Post by leilei »

7-zip can also get at filesystems in img and vhd files (but can't write to them)
Solar1x

Post by Solar1x »

7zip made it so easy...
I simply opened up with PCEM win95 file and could explore it and copy from it to my PC, way easier to than to mess around with images or whatever (couldn't manage extracting using images or whatever.)
Anyway that's solved, thanks guys!
ruben_balea

Post by ruben_balea »

I was also using Winimage for years: http://www.winimage.com/winimage.htm

It can work with FAT12, FAT16 and FAT32 filesystems in read/write mode and NTFS/ext3/ext4 filesystems in read only mode.
For hard drive images containing more than one partition it asks you which one you want to use.
:idea: It will save new images in compressed format (VMZ) unless you choose another file type (IMA, VFD) in the "save as" dialog. Those VMZ compressed images are a just normal image file compressed in standard zip format but PCem can't handle those directly, at least for now.
Cheez

Post by Cheez »

Solar1x wrote: Wed 10 Mar, 2021 2:29 am 7zip made it so easy...
I simply opened up with PCEM win95 file and could explore it and copy from it to my PC, way easier to than to mess around with images or whatever (couldn't manage extracting using images or whatever.)
You don't even know what it's called and you're telling us you had problems with it? I don't believe you.
Solar1x

Post by Solar1x »

Cheez wrote: Wed 10 Mar, 2021 4:46 pm
Solar1x wrote: Wed 10 Mar, 2021 2:29 am 7zip made it so easy...
You don't even know what it's called and you're telling us you had problems with it? I don't believe you.
What do you mean you don't believe me? lol.
I got win95 on pcem, installed a game on it, and I wanted to extract the saves I've made on said system to my own actual system, and I couldn't manage loading up the image I created through winimage with the save files to extract from (or that other method shown in the youtube vid), so I opened up my win95 file on my actual system with 7zip and extracted said saves from there.
ruben_balea

Post by ruben_balea »

You can do the same with Winimage if you want to extract or add files, I mean there's no need to create more images, you can open the same image being used by PCem with Winimage and drag and drop files and folders fom/to any folder on your physical computer

Edit: this only applies to early PCem releases, ignore it for v17 or newer: but be sure to exit from PCem before (closing main PCem window, not just closing that emulated machine) because it keeps the image file opened (bug fixed on v17) and Winimage can't open shared files.
Last edited by ruben_balea on Mon 15 Mar, 2021 10:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
shermanp

Post by shermanp »

ruben_balea wrote: Sun 14 Mar, 2021 2:57 am You can do the same with Winimage if you want to extract or add files, but be sure to exit from PCem before (closing main PCem window, not just closing that emulated machine) because it keeps the image file opened (bug???) and Winimage can't open shared files.
I think Sarah fixed that bug for the v17 release. It was uncovered while adding VHD support.
ruben_balea

Post by ruben_balea »

shermanp wrote: Mon 15 Mar, 2021 9:42 pm
ruben_balea wrote: Sun 14 Mar, 2021 2:57 am You can do the same with Winimage if you want to extract or add files, but be sure to exit from PCem before (closing main PCem window, not just closing that emulated machine) because it keeps the image file opened (bug???) and Winimage can't open shared files.
I think Sarah fixed that bug for the v17 release. It was uncovered while adding VHD support.
Thanks for the correction, I already edited my previous post to reflect it, I am still using some custom buildings from previous versions and had not realized that it was already fixed :oops: