Some noob questions from a new user...

Support and general discussion.
Chugster2204

Some noob questions from a new user...

Post by Chugster2204 »

So I managed to get this running and installed Win 98 but there are a few things im not sure of:

1) How do you get PCEM to see the video drivers and Dirextx...I got the master list but they are all bin and rom files but PCEM only want to see IMG, FDI,CUE and ISO files?

2) Whats the most powerful hardware settings I can emulate for a Win 98 system for gaming? I have decent base PC

3) Can PCEM use high end controllers such as an Xbox One controller or Thrustmaster T150 wheel or Warthog HOTAS? And if so...how?

4) Whats the most recent version of WIndos that PCEM can emulate?
omarsis81

Re: Some noob questions from a new user...

Post by omarsis81 »

1) The user is to find the drivers for each video card, but for the second sentence it seems you are confused with the ROMs for the video cards...
2) Pentium II @ 450 mhz in theory, but no computer can handle 100% emulation at present
3) Not sure, never tried
4) I believe Windows XP
leilei

Re: Some noob questions from a new user...

Post by leilei »

1) Roms go in ROMS. When PCem detects them, you'll be able to use those cards. Getting Windows to recognize them often depends on finding their appropriate driver software and installing them. Win95/98 should ship with drivers for many of the earlier PCI cards (S3 Trio, ATI Mach64 etc) and DirectX 3 to 6.1 have drivers for some of the slightly later ones (ViRGE) so that is also a convenient lazy driver source.

2) Celeron 533 or K6/2 550, 4 threaded 3dfx Voodoo3 3000, AWE32 using NukedOPL (SBPCI128 is better featured for windows gaming but is lighter to emulate for not having hardware wavetable/fm synthesis)

3) No idea on wheels. PCem uses SDL2 for input and SDL2 does recognize a lot of (host) gamepads, however there's no emulation of any standard dual/triple axis 12 button gamepads yet (not many of those existed prior to 2001) so it's all trial and error finding a good comfortable match.

4) in theory, Windows 7 SP1 (only because there's a few that managed to make 7 boot on real P5 machines)