Miscellaneous bugs / what am I doing wrong?

Support and general discussion.
Zup

Miscellaneous bugs / what am I doing wrong?

Post by Zup »

I've been trying to build some computers on vanilla 10.1, and I've run into some "features" of this emulator.

Maybe they're bugs, maybe I'm doing something wrong... anyone can help?

UI:
Some VGA and sound cards have options to configure them. But choosing one of this cards (i.e.: a TVGA9440) and then choosing another card let's the "configure" button active.

It's only a cosmetic glitch (you can't choose a 2Mb CGA card). I guess it's related to having that options written on the pcem.cfg file, but I don't know (also, I think I've spoken about this one earlier).

Amstrad PC2086: Sometimes, using CTRL+ALT or ALT GR causes the keyboard to stuck or lock (usually, CTRL key seems to stuck). It happens on non-US keyboard (tested with keyb uk and keyb es), but it may happen also on US keyboard. Tested with a later beta version compiled on linux.

Commodore PC10 III, Compaq Deskpro 386: Every time I make a change on configuration (because I've got a greater memory size or I need to disable internal HDD), the nvram gets corrupted. Really it's not corrupted, but the system complains "Options not set". Tested with a later beta version.

AMI 486 Clone: Sometimes after a soft reset or a CMOS change, it complains about HDD controller. Tested with a later beta version.

IBM PS/1 2011: It doesn't detect the emulated HDD. I've got the correct IDE ROM, but it doesn't show on startup. Has anyone have any success with this one? I guess it's not a bug, but something I'm doing wrong, so any help would be useful.

Thanks.
Battler

Re: Miscellaneous bugs / what am I doing wrong?

Post by Battler »

Amstrad PC2086: Sometimes, using CTRL+ALT or ALT GR causes the keyboard to stuck or lock (usually, CTRL key seems to stuck). It happens on non-US keyboard (tested with keyb uk and keyb es), but it may happen also on US keyboard. Tested with a later beta version compiled on linux.
From what I know, there is no way in Linux to obtain the raw scan codes of every key pressed, so the linux version is probably still translating virtual key codes to scan codes, which has a change of screwing up with non-US keyboard layouts.
IBM PS/1 2011: It doesn't detect the emulated HDD. I've got the correct IDE ROM, but it doesn't show on startup. Has anyone have any success with this one? I guess it's not a bug, but something I'm doing wrong, so any help would be useful.
You need not just the correct ROM, you also need to tweak it correctly. I'm going to upload the correctly tweaked ATIDE ROM later.
Zup

Post by Zup »

Sorry, but I forgot to mention that these issues happens both in Windows and Linux. I usually run PCem in Windows, but I've got only the proper tools to compile on Linux (so all tests on Windows run the standard 10.1 version and the tests on Linux run a later version).

About the PC2086, I use CTRL+ALT or AltGr to get the \ symbol in ES and UK keyboards, so I haven't tested that issue on US keyboard but I guess it will fail.

On the IBM PS/1 I use the IDE AT ROM using the version stated on the readme file (and renaming it to the same name). Does it need any patch to work? The ROM doesn't even show at boot, so I was wondering if I need to check some strange option on the configur or customiz programs.
Zup

Post by Zup »

I've been looking for the tuned ATIDE ROM... did it got released?