[notabug] Blackthorne/Blackhawk slowdown

Support and general discussion.
leilei

[notabug] Blackthorne/Blackhawk slowdown

Post by leilei »

This isn't a bug report.

One thing I still don't understand fully yet is why Blackthorne (Blackhawk in europe) runs so slow on certain not-emulated real old systems. The most exotic video things it does are 320x240 ModeX and color cycling.

On real hardware for many years, I've seen the game run at normal speed with a 486DX4 w/ S3 Trio64 and a SB AWE64, but a Pentium 100MHz w/ S3 Trio54 and SB AWE64 there's very uneven slowdown. There's also slowdown on similarly spec'd laptops (where I can assume it's slow from maybe trying to sync with a slower lcd screen refresh rate, but on a CRT at 640x480@60hz?)

The slowdown would affect the whole pace of the game and make the music slower and strangely timed.

PCem does emulate this slowdown on every combination i've tried so far including the 486s where I don't expect this to happen. :S I do think it should emulate this slowdown (not a bug) but I want to know why this game has a slowdown at all.
UPerschke

Re: [notabug] Blackthorne/Blackhawk slowdown

Post by UPerschke »

IIRC this slowdown doesn't happen with sound disabled on real HW. Thus I suppose it's somehow related to FSB/ISA bus cycles.
I would need to re-check, but currently I only have >486 w. PCI soundcard(ALS4k) accessible so I can't test for a proper result.