Blinking cursor or something in the upper right corner of screen

Support and general discussion.
markotoi

Blinking cursor or something in the upper right corner of screen

Post by markotoi »

I have noticed quite many times, that there is a blinking cursor or some rectangular block in the upper right screen. What is it and why does it happen? This happens also in the full screen mode.

szadycbr

Re: Blinking cursor or something in the upper right corner of screen

Post by szadycbr »

That is Hard Drive indicator, it is implemented only if using Direct Draw display, if you switch display to Direct3D then it will disappear. it is very usefull, when it does blink means that emulated HD is writing or reading data. some people dont like it, i think it is absolutely necessary to know what your HD is doing, but , like i said, opinions are divided.
KingDaveRa

Post by KingDaveRa »

WinUAE has a status bar across the bottom of the screen which shows HDD, Floppy and CD statuses by blinking things down there. Maybe that's a neater solution.
markotoi

Post by markotoi »

The hard drive activity indicator is just a small thing and at the moment it doesn't bother me. What bothers me more is that PCem has crashed for me quite often when I have switched from full screen mode to windowed mode.

The PC speaker emulation is also a bit distorted when compared to real hardware, but PCem emulation of PC speaker is better than DOSBox.

If PCem is developed further and it gets more accurate by time (what I hope), maybe some day I could replace my old hardware with a very light and fast Linux OS running PCem and nothing else. Then you could have many different "computers" in one.