[Request] Add the new AMI NEAT 286 BIOS from 86box

Discussion of development and patch submission.
Fenix77

[Request] Add the new AMI NEAT 286 BIOS from 86box

Post by Fenix77 »

Hello!

I recently found that 86box and Varcem has added the NEAT chipset emulation to AMI 286, so it can provide EMS memory (and maybe the DTK 386SX clone too because it has a NEATsx chipset).

I know PCem already has an AMI 286, but it is a PC-CHIPS motherboard that has a Hedaka EMS chipset that is not emulated yet.
It would be interesting to have these two NEAT chipsets, and Hedaka too because its EMS chipset emulation can added someday.

I know emm386 can be used on 386 and later machines, but I also read that v86 mode in these (386SX) machines worked slower in that mode than the real mode with EMS memory provided by the integrated chipset or EMS board (I don not know if the reason was the 16 bits external bus)

PD: although I know that some late DOS games (circa 1993-95) required EMS memory provided by EMM386/QEMM/386MAX, early DOS software can use EMS memory in real mode too.

Back in the day, 8088, 8086 and 80286 some motherboard incorporated a built in EMS memory support , (others did not and required an ISA LIM EMS memory board if EMS memory were needed.)

These machines had differents EMS chipsets with differents capabilities. All of them supported at least the LIM EMS 3.2 spec. But the LIM EMS 4.0 capabilities were implemented differently or not implemented at all (such as the large page frame, UMB memory support or the amount of ports they used).

Thanks for your work and effort in this emulator! It's interesting to see these old machines emulated and working in modern pcs!
omarsis81

Re: [Request] Add the new AMI NEAT 286 BIOS from 86box

Post by omarsis81 »

It is not a good idea to mention 86box here
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=502
xXLuckyXx

Post by xXLuckyXx »

It seems you aren't able to do anything on this forum.
SA1988

Post by SA1988 »

Oh come on...not even mentioning?
SarahWalker
Site Admin

Post by SarahWalker »

I don't remember saying that you're not allowed to mention it. Just that given the history, it's quite likely to piss me off, so caveat emptor.
xXLuckyXx

Post by xXLuckyXx »

Admins must be neutral on their forums at all times.
Fenix77

Post by Fenix77 »

Hello.

Sorry!

I did not pretend offend to anyone. I am not a programmer and I don not know how easy or difficult it can be to implement the emulation of the machine.
I only mentioned it because, if part of the code is already implemented and the code can be used, it may be easier than start from scratch creating a new code.
unless the code is not compatible with the existing one, or it's not open source.

I also read in this forum that WinUAE uses part of the PCEM code.

Again, I did not pretend offend to anyone. After all, every software has its advantages and shortcomings. I think it's the work of everybody that makes them better.
And I know not all the code may fit the need of everyone, programmers may not have the same point of view about what these programs have to do, or how they may work.

Thanks in advance!
leilei

Post by leilei »

Asking to snag from a source of grief is not recommended. It should've been common sense here at least two years ago.
SarahWalker
Site Admin

Post by SarahWalker »

Fenix77 only joined last September, so wasn't around for the original nightmare. So it's not unreasonable for him to not be aware of any of this.

But in general, the entire 'fork' experience was very unpleasant, and there's a reason everyone involved (with the exception of SA1988, who has been reasonably well behaved since then) got banned from this forum. So I'd really rather it didn't keep getting brought up.
SarahWalker
Site Admin

Post by SarahWalker »

xXLuckyXx wrote: Mon 27 Aug, 2018 8:53 pm Admins must be neutral on their forums at all times.
Since when? I'm a human being, not a machine.