Can we have a PCem BIOS datfile?

Discussion of development and patch submission.
Neville

Can we have a PCem BIOS datfile?

Post by Neville »

As PCem grows it's becoming harder for me to keep track of all the necessary BIOS and other files required to run it. It doesn't help that I've been updating every new release on top of the previous ones.

My question is, what about adding the option to PCem to create a datfile for ClrMAMEPro and / or RomCenter, the most usual ROM managers out there? That would also help reduce the number of problems related to not having the proper BIOS for the emulated machines.

Just saying.
Cheez

Re: Can we have a PCem BIOS datfile?

Post by Cheez »

That sounds like an idea that doesn't really need to be attached to the project in order to exist.
Neville

Post by Neville »

Depends. Some emulators like FB Alpha have an option in their menus to create datfiles, which I find a great idea. However, I'd be equally happy with a datfile being made available with every new version of PCem.
dreamer

Post by dreamer »

I would completely second this, although in a bit of a different way.

There is a known list of roms that are required for the different systems, but there is no good way to see the completion of the set. It would be great to have a list of rom files, and their availability: something like "System | ROM filename | Available".

That would be enough to at least check the roms folder, instead of manually cross-referencing the readme. I have checked out the code, and there seems to be some dynamic component to what files are loaded, but even then the same logic, that is being used for each machine individually could be generalized and reused.
Neville

Post by Neville »

openMSX (or should I say catapult?) has another posible solution:

JosepMa

Post by JosepMa »

I think I saw some posts on which sarah is a bit against this because it would somehow promote the research of roms to "have them all".
te_lanus

Post by te_lanus »

JosepMa wrote: Wed 22 May, 2019 9:32 pm I think I saw some posts on which sarah is a bit against this because it would somehow promote the research of roms to "have them all".
Knowing the Internet this has already happened :twisted: :roll:
Neville

Post by Neville »

I have to admit it, I've seen unofficial datfiles for PCem in other boards. And any reaction from Sarah Walker would be understandable. From "let the others build them and use them at their own risk" to "If it's already done, let me at least do it properly."

BTW, don't ask me about datfiles or URLs. Unless the mods say it so, I don't think its a good idea.
SarahWalker
Site Admin

Post by SarahWalker »

You want a reaction from me? I honestly don't care about this in the slightest.
Neville

Post by Neville »

Not really. I just thought you could swing either way.
BigAlUK

Post by BigAlUK »

SarahWalker wrote: Sun 26 May, 2019 8:00 pm You want a reaction from me? I honestly don't care about this in the slightest.
:lol: