Write-up for Compiling PCem in 2020?

Discussion of development and patch submission.
GeneralError

Write-up for Compiling PCem in 2020?

Post by GeneralError »

Hello, I've been using PCem for some time now, primarily for development of BIOS patches for vintage machines. It's a great product, thank you. I've made a few attempts in the last year or so to get setup for compiling it myself but have always tripped up on one thing or another. The write-up I found were a bit aged so the result wasn't unreasonable. Long story short I need to be able to speed up the IDE drive access a little bit in order to reproduce some issues that occur on real hardware when a faster drive is attached. I was wondering if there is a setting that can be tweaked to affect IDE speed, or if there is a write up that might help me setup a functional build environment because it would be great if I could add some debugging features too.

Thank you kindly.
omarsis81

Re: Write-up for Compiling PCem in 2020?

Post by omarsis81 »

maybe emulate an SCSI card
GeneralError

Post by GeneralError »

It's got to be IDE. It looks like I'm having some better success setting up the environment at the moment so I might just be all set. Thank you.
omarsis81

Post by omarsis81 »

Out of curiosity, why is GOT to be IDE?
GeneralError

Post by GeneralError »

Because I'm trying to patch issue related to Int 13h and IDE devices, they don't occur with SCSI. I was able to get things squared away and have now successfully compiled PCem with only a few deviations from the writeup. I haven't looked at the code yet but I recall reading a long time ago that speed (I think it was referencing floppy) is intentionally slow to give a more representative emulation of the original computer. I guess I've presumed that it's a similar situation with IDE, but of course assumptions don't always get you too far. So, before I dig in too far perhaps someone might chime in on what I'm trying to do, which is play with the timing (performance) of IDE read speeds. Thanks!