[PATCH] CD-ROM improvements

Discussion of development and patch submission.
FredPJ

Re: [PATCH] CD-ROM improvements

Post by FredPJ »

Ah, this is great news! Excellent work, thanks!
Windows9xFan

Post by Windows9xFan »

There should be a command to open/close the emulated CD drive tray on PCem, but changing discs will be impossible if it's closed.
I'm your biggest fan, Windows 9x series of operating systems!
Battler

Post by Battler »

I don't see the point, it's implied that the tray opens and closes when the disc is changed.
ENM23

Post by ENM23 »

Can we expect some more file formats like *.bin *.cue or others for loading images?
omarsis81

Post by omarsis81 »

ENM23 wrote:Can we expect some more file formats like *.bin *.cue or others for loading images?
Altough it would be great to have more common file formats, like CUE/BIN, CCD, MDS, CDI, NRG, etc, remember you can mount your files in the host OS with like, Demon tools, Alcohol and then select the virtual drive in PCem as the CD drive, or you can install a virtual CD program (daemons tools, alcohol) in the guest OS as well!
ENM23

Post by ENM23 »

omarsis81 wrote: Altough it would be great to have more common file formats, like CUE/BIN, CCD, MDS, CDI, NRG, etc, remember you can mount your files in the host OS with like, Demon tools, Alcohol and then select the virtual drive in PCem as the CD drive, or you can install a virtual CD program (daemons tools, alcohol) in the guest OS as well!
I use ImDisk and WinCDEmu or deamon tools too, but don't like to have those seperate tools on my system.
omarsis81

Post by omarsis81 »

As a matter of fact, ISO files are the worst extension IMHO since they can only contain one track and many games of the late 90's have more than one track (data+audio tracks), so ISO files can't handle those games.
Windows9xFan

Post by Windows9xFan »

Battler wrote:I don't see the point, it's implied that the tray opens and closes when the disc is changed.
Sorry about that, but when I try to eject the CD-ROM drive on PCem with Windows 2000 installed (by right clicking the drive and choosing "Eject"), nothing happens (unlike a real PC).
I'm your biggest fan, Windows 9x series of operating systems!
Katakis

Post by Katakis »

omarsis81 wrote:
ENM23 wrote:Can we expect some more file formats like *.bin *.cue or others for loading images?
Altough it would be great to have more common file formats, like CUE/BIN, CCD, MDS, CDI, NRG, etc, remember you can mount your files in the host OS with like, Demon tools, Alcohol and then select the virtual drive in PCem as the CD drive, or you can install a virtual CD program (daemons tools, alcohol) in the guest OS as well!
So it looks like if we want to play games such as Quake 2 or Turok, that use CD audio tracks as background music, we are encouraged to use Alcohol 120% or Daemon Tools, right?

That's too bad, because Wine cannot run these programs without problems, and it looks like these won't run at all in future versions of Wine.