ST-412/ST-506/ESDI hard drive emulation?

Discussion of development and patch submission.
gen_angry

Re: ST-412/ST-506/ESDI hard drive emulation?

Post by gen_angry »

Probably would just require a large list of existing drive configs and a "custom string" for it? Maybe for a dropdown so a user could pick from a list of pre-defined drives or choose to build their own "custom drive".

I'd be willing to try to track down or build a "list of different drives" if there was a class or something to define a drive model.

ie: ( int sector, int head, int cylinder, string name )
ecksemmess

Post by ecksemmess »

With the latest commits that add ESDI emulation (not to mention the MCA support and all of the other goodies), it looks like my original wishlist in this thread has just about been fulfilled. I never would've dared to hope it would have all happened so soon! :) Just a couple of quick questions: first, I see that the PS/2 ESDI adapter is marked as MFM (is_mfm set to 1). I don't believe that ESDI is generally considered to fall under the MFM umbrella, technically speaking. I'm not entirely clear on the usage and significance of is_mfm, so perhaps it's appropriate in this case, but it seems a bit misleading at the very least. And, second, given that the PS/2 ESDI adapter is MCA-based, I'm assuming there won't be any easy way to use this implementation with the ISA systems. However, is it reasonable to hope that a fair amount of that work will translate over to any future efforts to implement an ISA-based ESDI card? It would be great to be able to use the larger ESDI-sized hard drives with machines like the Deskpro 386, for example. In any case, thanks again Sarah for your typically impressive work here.
SarahWalker
Site Admin

Post by SarahWalker »

'is_mfm' currently only determines the hard drive configuration menu. I should probably tweak this at some point - while IBM's ESDI adapter is limited to 2 drives (like MFM), the hard drive type selection isn't really relevant.

If there is an ISA ESDI controller that uses the same register interface as IBM's MCA controller, then the work done so far can be re-used. Otherwise it's going to be effectively a new controller to emulate.
SarahWalker
Site Admin

Post by SarahWalker »

Rev 784 adds WD1007V-SE1 ESDI controller emulation.

Setup is similar to the DTC card - run DEBUG.EXE, and type 'g=c800:5'. Select option 7 ('Set Drive Type & Exit') and you can use +/- to choose C/H/S remapping. I recommend the third option, with 16 heads and 63 sectors.
ecksemmess

Post by ecksemmess »

This looks great! Thanks again for all your work on this Sarah, we've really come a long way.
ecksemmess

Post by ecksemmess »

Apologies if I'm missing something obvious here, but why is the IBM ESDI Fixed Disk Controller marked "is_mfm" for PCem's purposes, while the Western Digital WD1007V-SE1 ESDI controller is not? Is this related to what was mentioned a bit upthread about the IBM controller being limited to two drives?
SarahWalker
Site Admin

Post by SarahWalker »

As of rev 872 PCem now emulates a number of SCSI adapters. I felt a few notes were required :

- The Longshine and Ranco adapters have few if any drivers available; I'd suggest using these for running DOS in XT machines.
- Trantor T130B has drivers in NT 3.1 (and I think 3.51). There does seem to be a performance issue though which I haven't really investigated yet.
- Adaptec and BusLogic have support in NT and Windows 9x, which seem to work fine.
- BusLogic >1GB support isn't implemented yet. Adaptec supports up to 8GB okay though.
- Windows 3.x requires SMARTDRV double-buffering to be enabled. Windows setup will do this unless SMARTDRV is already in CONFIG.SYS/AUTOEXEC.BAT, which it is by default in MS-DOS 6.x.
- Hard drive configuration UI is incomplete. Only 4 drives are supported, and you have to provide drive size as cylinders/heads/sectors, which has no meaning for SCSI.
- No CD support yet.
ecksemmess

Post by ecksemmess »

What a nice surprise, thanks for this! :)
A. Naim

Post by A. Naim »

Indeed, thank you! :)
omarsis81

Post by omarsis81 »

I compiled rev. 873 and PCem doesn't detect HDD anymore
Attachments
detection.png
detection.png (64.82 KiB) Viewed 15978 times
SarahWalker
Site Admin

Post by SarahWalker »

You have to select 'standard IDE' now in the hard disc controller section in Settings. On the wxWidgets GUI this will happen automatically when selecting an appropriate machine, I didn't update the old GUI as it's going to be deleted shortly.
omarsis81

Post by omarsis81 »

Is "Internal IDE" and is the only option in the old GUI, I don't know how to compile the new one, but if you didn't update it, that explains it. I'll have to wait for v13. Thanks!
SarahWalker
Site Admin

Post by SarahWalker »

As a workaround you could try editing the relevant configure file and setting 'hdd_controller' to 'ide'. That ought to work.
omarsis81

Post by omarsis81 »

Indeed, it worked! Thanks
A. Naim

Post by A. Naim »

SarahWalker wrote:As a workaround you could try editing the relevant configure file and setting 'hdd_controller' to 'ide'. That ought to work.
Also got my Windows 98SE install working again, so thanks. :)

Well, once I ran through the HDD auto-detection again. Rev 873, just to note.
AnnaWu

Post by AnnaWu »

SarahWalker wrote:You have to select 'standard IDE' now in the hard disc controller section in Settings. On the wxWidgets GUI this will happen automatically when selecting an appropriate machine, I didn't update the old GUI as it's going to be deleted shortly.
SarahWalker wrote:As a workaround you could try editing the relevant configure file and setting 'hdd_controller' to 'ide'. That ought to work.
Please update the GUI without using the wxWidgets GUI, Sarah.
SarahWalker
Site Admin

Post by SarahWalker »

The non-wxWidgets GUIs will be deleted by the end of the week. I don't intend to maintain more than one GUI.
leilei

Post by leilei »

From a quick test, one of these recent commits (since Oct 3) regressed the floppy controller in MR 386DX (so far)

EDIT: turns out it's a bug with PC/GEOS's professional workspace's GeoManager accessing floppies somehow stalling the controller across even hard resets and may/may not involve the recent scsi commits

EDIT2: Attempting to format a read-only disk image can cause this
Last edited by leilei on Mon 09 Oct, 2017 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
basic2004

Post by basic2004 »

SarahWalker wrote:The non-wxWidgets GUIs will be deleted by the end of the week. I don't intend to maintain more than one GUI.
Discontinuing supports for old GUI is nice choice for now, because old GUI appeared internal IDE controller issue, and didn't solving mouse problem for Hi-DPI(above 100%) Windows user... this issue appears only old Windows GUI.
and joystick feature is messed up since implemented PCem configuration manager. and MIDI too.

But some features already supported when stable v12 were not support for wxWidgets GUI yet, can you support these until v13?
Greatpsycho

Post by Greatpsycho »

This patch fixes Internal IDE related trouble in non-windows enviroment.
Attachments
allegro-gui-configure.c.patch
Patch for fix Internal IDE.
(430 Bytes) Downloaded 304 times
SarahWalker
Site Admin

Post by SarahWalker »

basic2004 wrote:
SarahWalker wrote:The non-wxWidgets GUIs will be deleted by the end of the week. I don't intend to maintain more than one GUI.
Discontinuing supports for old GUI is nice choice for now, because old GUI appeared internal IDE controller issue, and didn't solving mouse problem for Hi-DPI(above 100%) Windows user... this issue appears only old Windows GUI.
and joystick feature is messed up since implemented PCem configuration manager. and MIDI too.

But some features already supported when stable v12 were not support for wxWidgets GUI yet, can you support these until v13?
I'm working on joystick support, what else is currently missing?
basic2004

Post by basic2004 »

SarahWalker wrote:I'm working on joystick support, what else is currently missing?
Oh, I expect that!

and I want MIDI feature, uploaded patch from this forum by bit and me.
I expect MIDI on wxWidgets too.

If you won't apply all, add SBMIDI with current MPU-401 UART mode.
SBMIDI shares current MIDI out device so PCem should support MIDI out device to all Sound Blaster cards.
currently PCem can set MIDI out device but no playback.
Tested wxWidgets UI with Windows, current development version.