Strange shader manager problem

Support and general discussion.
resle

Strange shader manager problem

Post by resle »

A picture, first:
The attachment shader_1.JPG is no longer available
The shader manager became nonfunctional, presenting all variables as an unchangeable series of -0.0 values.
It doesn't matter what shader it is. Any shader I add and try to configure, on any machine I pick, seems to have the same issue.

I suspect it's something that hasn't really to do with the shaders, but rather with... widgets? As a fewtimes, trying repeatedly to edit the values, PCem crashed with errors concerning WX[something].dll but I have been unable to capture the dialog before the application closed completely.

Attaching configs as usual albeit I doubt there's any anomaly to observe within.
Attachments
shader_1.JPG
shader_1.JPG (75.29 KiB) Viewed 13857 times
resle

Re: Strange shader manager problem

Post by resle »

Fresh installation, same problem.

I am running PCem on Windows 10 x64:
Does PCem create any folder anywhere that could require cleanup? I couldn't find anything in the usual places such as user profile's roaming data, c:\programdata and so forth.

Alternatively, could this depend on anything having changed with the most recent Windows build?
resle

Post by resle »

I am at a loss: fresh install, different machine, and still the shader manager is nonfunctional like in the screenshot above.
Windows 10 build 17074 - I don't have a machine with an earlier build at hand, unfortunately. I have several VMs but none support Opengl 3.0.

Let me restate it for maximum clarity:
- PCem 13.1, Windows 10 x64
- Fresh install
- it happens regardless of what shader is used, I even tried with a very basic one I wrote myself on the fly
- it happens regardless of the machine's configuration (created a few from scratch)

I am puzzled that no one has stumbled into the same issue yet.
kleptonin

Post by kleptonin »

I have also come across this problem, after updating PCem from v13.1 to v14. Loading in a GLSL shader works okay, but trying to change any of the parameters results in the value being immediately changed to -0.00 in the interface, and trying to apply any changes results in a black image (I assume because any brightness/contrast/gamma values are set too low to show an image).
resle

Post by resle »

I just updated to v14, and I keep having the same problem.

Since setting the parameters manually (editing config files) works, I'd guess it's a problem of whatever controls/widgets are used for the UI.
Or, perhaps, a combination of those and what Windows version is in use (the problem for me happened immediately after a major Windows 10 feature update).

I tried going back to earlier pcEm versions, removing all roms, all shaders, even restoring previous gpu drivers, all to no effect.
leilei

Post by leilei »

Oddly I get this bug with the release build from the site, but not in a self-made wx 3.0 gcc 4.7.2 build from the current revision. :S
resle

Post by resle »

leilei wrote: Sat 12 May, 2018 10:48 am Oddly I get this bug with the release build from the site, but not in a self-made wx 3.0 gcc 4.7.2 build from the current revision. :S
@Sarah: would it be a problem if leilei privately shared the unofficial, custom build with me (provided he wants to) to check whether it solves the problem or not? Just to narrow down the potential origins of this issue.
SarahWalker
Site Admin

Post by SarahWalker »

Of course not! My request for not sharing development builds was _public_ distribution, not private.
leilei

Post by leilei »

I'm not feeling up to giving out EXEs anyway. It'd have some of my hacky stuff applied to it and be nowhere as optimized, and I have a feeling if I do, i'll have to make a huge zip with all the dependencies...
JosepMa

Post by JosepMa »

I wonder if all is caused by the use of wx 3.1 in Sarah's build (at least it was 3.1 on previous releases. now it's hard to tell since it's statically linked).

The stable version is still 3.0, although the development has gone on for some time. It might even be some small incompatibility between those versions.
mixerjdp

Post by mixerjdp »

Hello Any update on this? i have also the same problem in PCem V14.
resle

Post by resle »

In a few recent builds I had the chance to run to test something else (VHD support), the shader manager problem is gone.