Voodoo2 on Windows XP

Support and general discussion.
xXLuckyXx

Voodoo2 on Windows XP

Post by xXLuckyXx »

Is it possible to install Voodoo2 on Windows XP in PCem?
leilei

Re: Voodoo2 on Windows XP

Post by leilei »

Yes via 3rd-party drivers, but don't expect Direct3D support for V2 on NT-based OSes.
gen_angry

Post by gen_angry »

IMO, you'd be better off using something like VirtualBox for XP.

PCem's "max specs" is kinda low for it to be of any real use - I had XP on a real 300mhz machine and well, I couldn't actually do anything with it lol.
xXLuckyXx

Post by xXLuckyXx »

I have WinXP in VirtualBox and I have real PC with WinXP. I'm just experimenting here to see how it's going to work. Voodoo2 isn't working then.
leilei

Post by leilei »

I never said it didn't work at all. It still has Glide support, just no Direct3D HAL driver. 3rd party drivers are your only option because, well....... 3dfx closed a year before XP released :roll:
xXLuckyXx

Post by xXLuckyXx »

I'll take that as "no" answer. Thanks for info.
tk421

Post by tk421 »

I concur with the feedback provided here regarding the use of the Voodoo 2 with WinXP. It was a great OS, although I did prefer Win98.

Today the best way to run WinXP would be VMWare or VirtualBox. Overall, I found the 3D graphics capabilities of VMWare to be far superior to VirtualBox, especially for games like Jedi Knight, X-Wing Alliance and even TIE Fighter. Oddly enough, Star Wars: Rebellion worked better with VirtualBox. Neither VMWare or VirtualBox are without its limitations, many programs simply will not work on these programs. It is unfortunate that we would need an actual XP system to run XP properly.

Running XP on Win95/98 hardware was usually a disappointing experience. Typically you would need a good 256mb of RAM just to run the OS without problems. As for CPU, I never tried it on less than a 1 Ghz PC. I love PCem so when I get my new PC, one day, I will be able to run this great program at best possible specs. A Pentium 233 MMX was not worth much for XP but for Windows 98 is was good, especially with the power of a Voodoo 2 graphics card.