Shutdown Or Close Window

Support and general discussion.
IMeganElisabeth

Shutdown Or Close Window

Post by IMeganElisabeth »

I notice that when I start up the machine it first displays the screen of checking C drive for errors and to always shut down the system first before then letting me into my full windows system. Am just wondering if I should be choosing shutdown in the drop down and then closing PCem or if it doesn’t matter? I want what is best for the system I’ve created to be less likely to struggle with issues and didn’t know if over time this could be taxing or lead to problems sometime. Thanks so very much for any responses!
Zup

Re: Shutdown Or Close Window

Post by Zup »

I guess you're using Windows 95 or 98. In that systems, the proper closing procedure would be goint to Start Menu on the emulated machine, and choose Shutdown. Then wait until a screen announces that you can safely shutdown your computer and then close PCem.

Failing to do so means that some files on the emulated machine hard disk won't be written and it will trigger scandisk on next boot. Most times it won't do much harm, but if you're out of luck the emulated machine hard disk will be corrupted enough to prevent boot (or have nasty issues).
IMeganElisabeth

Post by IMeganElisabeth »

Zup wrote: Sat 23 Feb, 2019 6:54 am I guess you're using Windows 95 or 98. In that systems, the proper closing procedure would be goint to Start Menu on the emulated machine, and choose Shutdown. Then wait until a screen announces that you can safely shutdown your computer and then close PCem.

Failing to do so means that some files on the emulated machine hard disk won't be written and it will trigger scandisk on next boot. Most times it won't do much harm, but if you're out of luck the emulated machine hard disk will be corrupted enough to prevent boot (or have nasty issues).

Thank you very much. This was the exact answer I was looking for. So within my emulated Windows 98 Machine I shut it down from the start menu and then once I see a screen notifying me I can shutdown safely I close PCem via “close window” right?
Katakis

Post by Katakis »

Yeah, that is what I do with my fake Windows 95 machine. In future versions of Windows (from Windows 2000 onward), the PC shuts down automatically.