Unexplained Slowdown?

Support and general discussion.
CryptidWorks

Unexplained Slowdown?

Post by CryptidWorks »

I'm running Windows 98 SE with these settings

https://imgur.com/a/sYbncSt

My CPU is an i5-6600k@4.2Ghz and sometimes I get weird slowdown that seems unrelated to my hardware usage as seen here by the CPU barely being used in this screen where it happens. It causes weird audio stuttering whenever it occurs.

dreamer

Re: Unexplained Slowdown?

Post by dreamer »

Your screenshot doesn't show the titlebar of the PCEm window. In there a percentage is displayed. That percentage shows how much of the expected performance you are able to reach. If you see 100% that means PCEm is able to run full speed, and the performance matches the machine. If it is lower than 100 (something like 80, 60), then the performance of your PC might be the bottleneck.

What percentage does the window show when not in fullscreen?
omarsis81

Post by omarsis81 »

Wait and try again with the new version 15
It should be released next month

PS: What game is it?
CryptidWorks

Post by CryptidWorks »

dreamer wrote: Fri 26 Apr, 2019 12:35 pm Your screenshot doesn't show the titlebar of the PCEm window. In there a percentage is displayed. That percentage shows how much of the expected performance you are able to reach. If you see 100% that means PCEm is able to run full speed, and the performance matches the machine. If it is lower than 100 (something like 80, 60), then the performance of your PC might be the bottleneck.

What percentage does the window show when not in fullscreen?
It's indeed showing actual slowdown of the emulator in the scenes that are stuttering

CryptidWorks

Post by CryptidWorks »

omarsis81 wrote: Fri 26 Apr, 2019 2:20 pm Wait and try again with the new version 15
It should be released next month

PS: What game is it?
Titanic: Adventure out of Time. Version 1.0 from an original retail disc.
Cheez

Post by Cheez »

I had something like this once that only occurred during CD reads (image or real discs) and the only solution I ended up finding was creating a new machine profile from scratch and attaching my existing hard drive images so I didn't have to reinstall everything. I doubt the same would work for you because I had a unique situation that I don't quite remember the details of.
CryptidWorks

Post by CryptidWorks »

Just to make this weirder dropping down to 166Mhz CPU seems to have fixed it? There seems to be some kind of issue on my end emulating fast CPUs. The Issue isn't totally fixed and I still get some small stutters when data is being loaded from the discs but it's not remaining at partial speed anymore.

Any ideas? I have a Skylake clocked at 4.2Ghz so I shouldn't be having issues with even the highest end CPU.
SarahWalker
Site Admin

Post by SarahWalker »

CryptidWorks wrote: Sat 27 Apr, 2019 6:42 am Any ideas? I have a Skylake clocked at 4.2Ghz so I shouldn't be having issues with even the highest end CPU.
You're clearly new here :)
seth

Post by seth »

:mrgreen:
szadycbr

Post by szadycbr »

ha ha ha :)
CryptidWorks

Post by CryptidWorks »

SarahWalker wrote: Sat 27 Apr, 2019 7:50 am
CryptidWorks wrote: Sat 27 Apr, 2019 6:42 am Any ideas? I have a Skylake clocked at 4.2Ghz so I shouldn't be having issues with even the highest end CPU.
You're clearly new here :)
Clearly because the system requirements are like a 4xxx class clocked over 4Ghz.

What am I missing?
SarahWalker
Site Admin

Post by SarahWalker »

PCem is generally considered to not be very fast. You are very far from the first person to make this observation.
CryptidWorks

Post by CryptidWorks »

SarahWalker wrote: Sat 27 Apr, 2019 8:39 pm PCem is generally considered to not be very fast. You are very far from the first person to make this observation.
I understand that but I still have to think the issue is me doing something wrong in this case because I've seen people with slower chips managing to run it without stuttering judging from reports on the forums.
SarahWalker
Site Admin

Post by SarahWalker »

It's very dependent on what you're trying to run on it. And the games/applications that run slowly are never what you'd expect.
CryptidWorks

Post by CryptidWorks »

SarahWalker wrote: Sat 27 Apr, 2019 9:10 pm It's very dependent on what you're trying to run on it. And the games/applications that run slowly are never what you'd expect.
Makes sense.

Hopefully Version 15 increases performance a bit.
Katakis

Post by Katakis »

For some reason, I have the same problem in PCem. Managed to fix that by quitting and re-starting the emulator.