Low-end processor, but following programme's requirements

Support and general discussion.
scifirenegade

Low-end processor, but following programme's requirements

Post by scifirenegade »

I'm trying to run a game using PCem. I had no luck trying to run it on VMs, and PCem has more control when it comes to emulating specific hardware. Unfortunetely, the same problem I ran to when using emulators is the same I run to on PCem.

The game, despite me having more than enough RAM and the minimum required processor, claims my processor is too slow to run it!

This is the game's specs (https://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/ ... t/techinfo).

The machine I decided to emulate is an Intel Advanced/ZP, with an Intel Pentium 133 processor (32 MB of RAM), a Trident TGUI9400CXi graphics card (2 Mb of memory) at Fast VLB/PCI and a Sound Blaster 16 sound card. I'm emulating Windows 95, more precisely the second version of it.

I don't really know what to do, but I have asked several people and there's somewhat of a consensus that the issue may be on how PCem presents the CPU to the game code. If not, maybe there's a way to bypass processor speed detection?

Thank you so much for your attention.
leilei

Re: Low-end processor, but following programme's requirements

Post by leilei »

On the back, it does state that a Pentium 133MHz is a minimum requirement. Consider it's a 1998 release, well into the 6th generation of processors (Pentium II / AMD K6-2), 5th gen CPUs were already starting to show their age at this point to this particular rush of Win95 3d multimedia (especially after the MMX push of '97).

From how it looks in the screenshots though (software rendered 640x480 3D with what appears to have no lighting lookup techniques, just large large textures), bumping it up to a PODMMX200 probably wouldn't hurt.

TGUI9400CXI doesn't have a DirectX5 driver as far as I can tell. Win95 tries to use a more generic Trident Super VGA driver instead. This could be a compatibility factor....
scifirenegade

Post by scifirenegade »

Thank you!

What graphics card could have support for DirectX5?
scifirenegade

Post by scifirenegade »

Update: Even with Pentium II it still claims the processor is too slow.
scifirenegade

Post by scifirenegade »

I followed this tutorial here (https://olistutorials.wordpress.com/201 ... -95-games/) which helps setting up Voodoo graphics.
It worked! If it's possible to close the thread...