Running PCem emulation in GPU

Support and general discussion.
MichaelJManley

Running PCem emulation in GPU

Post by MichaelJManley »

I am asking theoreticals here but would it even be beneficial to emulate any aspect of PCem’s emulation in GPU? I have some high end Quadro cards i can test the idea with if it even would make sense.
SarahWalker
Site Admin

Re: Running PCem emulation in GPU

Post by SarahWalker »

I had been vaguely pondering the idea of running the Voodoo emulation as a compute shader. Might be unworkable, but possibly worth considering for some point in the distant future.
CryptidWorks

Post by CryptidWorks »

SarahWalker wrote: Sun 16 Jan, 2022 9:27 am I had been vaguely pondering the idea of running the Voodoo emulation as a compute shader. Might be unworkable, but possibly worth considering for some point in the distant future.
Might get PCEM up and running later 9x games on systems that are running fast quad cores and entry level GPUs that can emulate a decent CPU fine but don't have enough threads for stable Voodoo emulation by offloading that to the card. Would be an interesting proposition is nothing else.
leilei

Post by leilei »

There'd probably still be a CPU bottleneck.

<bad idea>

unless, somehow......the CPU is also compute'd. GPUs probably could handle the FPU more precisely, but this all could be impractical memory read hell. Or maybe there's room for cache emulation...

AS LONG AS IT'S NOT CUDA :( I have not had a single piece of nVidia hardware since the FX
SarahWalker
Site Admin

Post by SarahWalker »

CPU emulation on the GPU is impractical on so many levels, similar to the "make the CPU emulation multithreaded" idea that refuses to die.
SarahWalker
Site Admin

Post by SarahWalker »

On a more constructive note, the only other thing I can think of that would actually fit a vaguely GPU-like workload is audio filter emulation. But that's probably still better off done on the CPU, kicked off to another thread.
MichaelJManley

Post by MichaelJManley »

leilei wrote: Sun 16 Jan, 2022 2:20 pm AS LONG AS IT'S NOT CUDA :( I have not had a single piece of nVidia hardware since the FX
Haha if I was even going to do such a thing, it be OpenCL. Not everyone uses Nvidia lol