Problem with Voodoo Graphics in Interstate 76

Support and general discussion.
Gonzogar

Problem with Voodoo Graphics in Interstate 76

Post by Gonzogar »

Hi there!!

I've been testing this amazing emulator for the last few weeks, learning how to set up a PC with Windows 98 and playing around with some configurations.

My primary goal is to play Interstate 76 which is impossible to replicate in modern machines (there's always some problem) and I'm getting this weird artifacts on it.

My current setup is:

Socket 7 Shuttle HOT-557
Pentium MMX 200
128MB RAM
3DFX Voodoo 3
Soundblaster AWE32
10gb Drive

Latest voodoo drivers and directx 9.0c

I also have a set with Voodoo 1, but I couldn't test the game because it won't start (some error message and back to desktop).

After a lot of trouble with drivers and whatnot, I managed to run the game with 3DFX but after a while the textures get all mixed up (after firing the missiles in the first mission) and the game start to fill the screen with this textures creating this kind of "artifacts". This happens in fullscreen and window mode.

If i run the game in Direct3d mode the game runs fine, but looks a lot worse.

Here's a screenshot showing the problem

I tested with another game Rayman 2 and it runs just fine.

Another minor thing is that sometimes I get double sound win Windonws, like when opening a folder or something like that, but I haven't experienced it ingame.

Thanks!!
leilei

Re: Problem with Voodoo Graphics in Interstate 76

Post by leilei »

It's real behavior believe it or not! I76 doesn't know what to do with >2MB texture memory. It's one of those Glide games you should tick that 2MB checkbox for (in the 3dfx driver panel). And if that fails, use a Voodoo Graphics instead (with a 2mb+2mb configuration)
Gonzogar

Post by Gonzogar »

I can't believe you even emulate glitches hahaha
A. Naim

Post by A. Naim »

Gonzogar wrote: Wed 14 Apr, 2021 2:18 am I can't believe you even emulate glitches hahaha
Ironically, emulating a system correctly also means emulating the glitches. ;)
Gonzogar

Post by Gonzogar »

I know, but that gives me some peace because the emulation is running flawlessly then :)

After a few tries I'm running it perfectly with my Voodoo 1 setup. :D

I can't believe I waited 15 years to play this game again.

If anyone has a doubt running this game send me a PM :)
sndwv

Post by sndwv »

Gonzogar wrote: Wed 14 Apr, 2021 1:54 pm If anyone has a doubt running this game send me a PM :)
Please do share the settings you used, I tried several different driver versions, Voodoo, Voodoo2, limiting memory in PCem v17, limiting texture memory via the Voodoo2 panel- no luck yet!
Xanarki

Post by Xanarki »

sndwv wrote: Tue 01 Feb, 2022 8:33 pm
Gonzogar wrote: Wed 14 Apr, 2021 1:54 pm If anyone has a doubt running this game send me a PM :)
Please do share the settings you used, I tried several different driver versions, Voodoo, Voodoo2, limiting memory in PCem v17, limiting texture memory via the Voodoo2 panel- no luck yet!
Do you have the latest official patch for the game itself, version 1.081 ?

Are you actually running the game in 3dfx mode (-3dfx in the command line of the I76 shortcut, or in some versions of the game, select the 3dfx option on the splash screen) ?

FYI, I highly suggest trying the Interstate '76 Gold Edition, since that one was bang up-to-date with all the fixes and whatnot. The Nitro Pack/Nitro Riders expansion too.
sndwv

Post by sndwv »

Yes, official disc images from the Gold Edition and gold patch applied, running 3dfx version from the splash screen. Which PCem Voodo graphics settings, OS and Voodoo drivers are you using?
Xanarki

Post by Xanarki »

Personally I'm using Pentium MMX Overdrive 180mhz, Voodoo2 SLI (though I sometimes have to disable the SLI via the 3dfx settings on the desktop for certain games to work), S3 Virge, Windows 98se, DirectX 7.0 (last one to officially support Voodoo2 if I remember right), 3.02.02 of the Voodoo2 drivers.....granted, my host CPU isn't the best, and so I can't emulate anything over 180mhz. If I go over 180mhz, then PCem starts to drop below 100% during some games.

I76 works fine for me. What's exactly your issue though? Crashing before the main menu? Crashing after selecting a game mode? Slow performance? Twitchy graphics?
sndwv

Post by sndwv »

That's the same setup I'm running (other than the processor speed, Pentium 166), and I've tried a Win95 Voodoo 1 setup as well. For me, it's randomly switched textures- starts small (for instance, when steering all the way to the left, the last steering wheel sprite might suddenly turn into a billboard) but eventually everything 'explodes' into all sorts of wrong textures and sprites- the 'more than 2MB texture memory'-issue the game had on actual hardware as well I think, but as far as I know I am limiting texture memory to 2MB. Pressing Esc temporarily clears it up.
leilei

Post by leilei »

It's like that on real hardware yeah, there's recently been one streamer (PMMX233 + ATI Rage + Voodoo2) going through having to clear it up with the menu refresh.
sndwv

Post by sndwv »

The question is though, can PCem be configured in such a way that it Just Works? I think I've exhausted all the options of either emulating a system with a 2MB Voodoo card, or using the driver software to limit a Voodoo2 to 2MB, but maybe I'm missing something obvious.
tr.StEalTH

Post by tr.StEalTH »

welcome to the battle good sir! old games don't always work on the newer hardware.
In rogue squadron on a voodoo 1 or 2 far pixels become like a fog. Voodoo3 its like faded
pixelated crap show five foot off the the noise of your ship. I remember I did something to
fix this in 3dfxtool settings 20 some odd years ago But can't remember what, how, or even
the drivers I was using. I ticked all settings on off and tried like four five other driver sets.
d3d and 3dfxglide both look the same
245.jpg
245.jpg (140.24 KiB) Viewed 5454 times
tr.StEalTH

Post by tr.StEalTH »

I guess I missed putting my point into text. best way to get it to work is to build the computer hardware up to match the games system requirements . gl P-90 with a 1 MB SVGA video card should do the trick!
nuclear69

Post by nuclear69 »

sndwv wrote: Fri 04 Feb, 2022 12:33 am The question is though, can PCem be configured in such a way that it Just Works? I think I've exhausted all the options of either emulating a system with a 2MB Voodoo card, or using the driver software to limit a Voodoo2 to 2MB, but maybe I'm missing something obvious.
I've also been throught all this trouble and I finally found a working setup:
Voodoo 1 SLi with 2MB memory, socket 7 cpu of your taste (if you want more or less fps), windows 95, directx 7a and latest official voodoo 1 drivers from phil's website.
Voodoo 2 and voodoo 3 always had that weird memory bug happening, no matter if I applied the software fix, lowered the emulated memory or disabled sli.
Maybe the software option is being overriden and not working at all with pcem? or maybe it just never really worked even back in the day and just fixed the startup but not the actual memory ocupation lol.

Bummer because voodoo 3 glide is better looking, but so is it's direct3d mode, so if you really wanna run it in a more modern machine, give voodoo 3 and -d3d mode a try.