Quicktime Content Makes a PII/233 Return a 1Ghz Clockspeed

Support and general discussion.
CryptidWorks

Quicktime Content Makes a PII/233 Return a 1Ghz Clockspeed

Post by CryptidWorks »

I was seeing how a P2 on my system could handle a realistically heavy load by opening a quicktime based sampler after even torture testing running Half-Life at minimum everything on a Voodoo 3 3000 to max frames only dropped emulation speed to 95%. I don't know what's going on but while it's decoding quicktime content it suddenly shows a 1Ghz frequency, dropping back to 200hz when I close the software.

I did hit 86% usage on the virtual CPU without slowdown though, so that's impressive and I hope we can improve performance enough I can get it to 100% loaded without lag on my system

Edit: upon experimenting decoding any kind of video files causes it, even AVIs in Windows Media Player
Sooga

Re: Quicktime Content Makes a PII/233 Return a 1Ghz Clockspeed

Post by Sooga »

Quick Time software/games really slow my PCEM down to almost a crawl so I have to dumb it WAY down where literally everything else works up to a Celeron for me.
Sooga

Post by Sooga »

CryptidWorks wrote: Fri 01 Jul, 2022 4:07 am Image

I was seeing how a P2 on my system could handle a realistically heavy load by opening a quicktime based sampler after even torture testing running Half-Life at minimum everything on a Voodoo 3 3000 to max frames only dropped emulation speed to 95%. I don't know what's going on but while it's decoding quicktime content it suddenly shows a 1Ghz frequency, dropping back to 200hz when I close the software.

I did hit 86% usage on the virtual CPU without slowdown though, so that's impressive and I hope we can improve performance enough I can get it to 100% loaded without lag on my system

Edit: upon experimenting decoding any kind of video files causes it, even AVIs in Windows Media Player
I forgot to hit quote. My reply was meant to you. I don't get the deal with the Quicktime Lag. Any work around? I don't like having to dumb my bios just for childhood educational games that uses Quick Time.
unreal9010

Post by unreal9010 »

Sooga wrote: Wed 06 Jul, 2022 8:43 am

I forgot to hit quote. My reply was meant to you. I don't get the deal with the Quicktime Lag. Any work around? I don't like having to dumb my bios just for childhood educational games that uses Quick Time.
Currently, the only "workaround" is to have a reasonably fast Intel CPU. I own 12900 KF and I get no lag when running stuff with Quicktime content on an emulated Pentium II 333. Things will likely improve after switching to Qt and fixing dynarec regressions.
Sooga

Post by Sooga »

unreal9010 wrote: Wed 06 Jul, 2022 12:32 pm
Sooga wrote: Wed 06 Jul, 2022 8:43 am

Currently, the only "workaround" is to have a reasonably fast Intel CPU. I own 12900 KF and I get no lag when running stuff with Quicktime content on an emulated Pentium II 333. Things will likely improve after switching to Qt and fixing dynarec regressions.
Is yours an I7 or I9? I have an I7th 10th gen 2.8GHZ on an LGA1200 chipset from Dell with a GEFORCE 1650 card. Would upgrading down-the-road to an I9 coremake any significant difference or should I upgrade to an I7 12th core or something else entirely? What do you suggest? I can emulate just up to a PII celeron if I don't do Quick Time games.
CryptidWorks

Post by CryptidWorks »

Sooga wrote: Wed 06 Jul, 2022 8:43 am Quick Time software/games really slow my PCEM down to almost a crawl so I have to dumb it WAY down where literally everything else works up to a Celeron for me.
There's some kind of weird resource leak related to decoding video on the virtual CPU so all you can do use a slower CPU to play quicktime games.
CryptidWorks

Post by CryptidWorks »

unreal9010 wrote: Wed 06 Jul, 2022 12:32 pm Currently, the only "workaround" is to have a reasonably fast Intel CPU. I own 12900 KF and I get no lag when running stuff with Quicktime content on an emulated Pentium II 333. Things will likely improve after switching to Qt and fixing dynarec regressions.
It's good to hear the current programmer has plans to optimize the software further. Maybe it'll iron out the very minor slowdown issues I sometimes get with torture loads or accessing the virtual HD with a Pentium II 233Mhz on my 5600X.