DVD Drive Support

Discussion of development and patch submission.
DevanDrake99

DVD Drive Support

Post by DevanDrake99 »

Is there a possibility that there's going to be support for DVD drives, so it could do DVD ISO images like DVD movies or DVD-ROM?
wishusknight

Re: DVD Drive Support

Post by wishusknight »

DevanDrake99 wrote: Wed 27 Jul, 2022 8:07 pm Is there a possibility that there's going to be support for DVD drives, so it could do DVD ISO images like DVD movies or DVD-ROM?
It supports using Daemon tools to mount an iso on the host to share a drive letter in PCEM. And it works with VIDE decently well. One of the CDRom atapi drivers from Freedos. At least for lower spec emulation configs. It was stable and gave no performance issues. OAKCDROM.SYS seems to not behave so well, though. But this is all I have done.

Not as slick as having it just built in as a device, but its a good hamfist anyhow.
wishusknight

Post by wishusknight »

I will add this was on Dos 6.22 and was also used in windows 3.11. My cdrom device driver was VIDE-CDD.SYS and i use SHSUCDX.EXE for the mapper. And ram footprint is about 12k between the two of 'em. I have heard there are performance issues with this setup, but from what I gander it comes from higher spec machines like the pentium and MMX.. I only play with 386 configs mostly. And for me it works as good as i could hope for.
tk421

Post by tk421 »

One option would be to place your DVD ISO within a PCem virtual hard disk and run Daemon Tools from within a PCem VM. I do this for some of my games and it is the only way to run them with a virtual CD. I am sure DVD ISOs would work the same way.

Daemon Tools will even work with a P166 MMX.

At the very least you could ascertain whether PCem can support DVD ISOs.
DevanDrake99

Post by DevanDrake99 »

I'm just hoping for the PCemDVD drive to be featured in the future versions.
DevanDrake99

Post by DevanDrake99 »

But thanks for the suggestion for Daemon Tools, but it wouldn't be easy to put a 7GB ISO image from the host machine into PCem.