No Keyboard shortuts?

Support and general discussion.
walterg74

No Keyboard shortuts?

Post by walterg74 »

Were keyboard shortcuts never implemented in any version?

I'm talking about things like insert/eject floppy image, CD etc.

When emulating, the goal is to have as close an experience to the original as possible, and these type of shortcuts help to ease the gap a little for those type of operations, as you can imagine using it in full screen and having to jump back to a window, to get the menu, to choose with your mouse to open an image, etc... it's pretty immersion-breaking.

As most (if not all) emulators I use do have shortcuts, I'm surprised to see this has almost none (in/out of fullscreen, screenshot, etc.), unless I am missing something big time?
Arjen42

Re: No Keyboard shortuts?

Post by Arjen42 »

Not really, I think most people just want to play the game they like. When installing games from multiple floppy images to a hard drive image, it's usually an one time thing (per game). So that's commonly done in windowed mode and immersion is not that important. But ease of use is. So it's a lot of mouse clicks vs. remembering a hot key and some less mouse clicks.

When playing the game from a hard drive image, those hot keys for the floppy images are no longer needed.
walterg74

Post by walterg74 »

Arjen42 wrote: Sun 14 Aug, 2022 6:48 am Not really, I think most people just want to play the game they like. When installing games from multiple floppy images to a hard drive image, it's usually an one time thing (per game). So that's commonly done in windowed mode and immersion is not that important. But ease of use is. So it's a lot of mouse clicks vs. remembering a hot key and some less mouse clicks.

When playing the game from a hard drive image, those hot keys for the floppy images are no longer needed.
Well, part of the experience is reproducing a system from the time, or that you originally had, etc. There were many floppy-only systems that are nice to use. Otherwise, with that criteria why even bother emulating all that, let's do a one-machine emulator with all the best stuff and done. Or use DOSbox, IDK...

Additionally, it's not just mouse clicks vs keys. It's mainly, as I mentioned, about immersion. And right now, as it stands, I cannot even access the menu without leaving full screen mode into a fugly window.
wishusknight

Post by wishusknight »

I would be happy to have an alt-tab hotkey... That is my most important request.